Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Stop spoofing own URL

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by keat63, Feb 21, 2018.

1. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We don't utilise DKIM as we find it can block legitimate email.

Today, I picked up on a spoof from zac@mydomain.com, who doesn't exist, and I guess my staff would also pickup knowing that we don't have anyone here called Zac.
    The headers would indicate it came from elsewhere, but my staff wouldn't know how to find the headers.

This got me thinking though, can any filters or checks be put in place (other than DKIM) that would check the existance of the account before accepting the mail.

ie, zac@mydomain.com doesn't exist, so couldn't possibly send an email.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

One option to consider is Sender Verification Callouts, found under the "Mail" tab in "WHM >> Exim Configuration Manager >> Basic Editor". Per it's description:

Use callouts to verify the existence of email senders. Exim will connect to the mail exchanger for a given address to verify it exists before accepting mail from it.

However, generally the better approach is to implement a technology such as like S/MIME or PGP to sign individual messages. It's not a feature offered in cPanel & WHM directly, and thus would require your email users to setup their email clients to use the technology. Once configured, the user's email client could indicate that a message was not signed (and thus is forged).

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...