The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stop the exim temporary

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by golden_eyes, May 10, 2011.

1. golden_eyes

golden_eyes Well-Known Member

Hey,

Referencing to my tracing I noticed that the backup took more than 48 hours because the eaim is trying to deliver the emails of my accounts, mail list, VB and many other.

My backup Start at 02:00 AM and it take 4 hours approximately, so is there any script can I put it in the cron before 02:00 AM in order to stop the Exim and re-start it at 6:00 AM.

Please note that I wanna stop sending in order to save load and give the backup priority, but I wanna keep the queue running in order to receive and submit the messages and keep them pending in the queue.

Any help please...

Sincerely,

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Exim cannot be stopped but still allow messages to queue. You would need to keep exim running for messages to be delivered into the queue.

You can revise some settings so that messages in the queue do not deliver immediately in some situations:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f189/nice-exim-172346.html#post713071

The queue settings are load-based settings, so the load would have to be a higher value during the backups for these to take effect.

Also, did the backup take 48 hours or 4 hours? You've mentioned both values, so I'm simply wondering the length of time it is running.

Thanks.

3. golden_eyes

Thank you Tristan for your reply,

I thing the kink was helpful, but is it possible to give the best values for the 3 parameters?

I wanna prevent the email acceptance specially for the email size that contain more than 10MB attachment size, I wanna reject the emails with large attachments.

The backup took 48 hours while the load is high it supposed to take arround 4-5 hours to be done.

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not aware of an attachment size limit for incoming messages, but exim does have message_size_limit that can limit the size of the message:

14. Main configuration

This would apply to all incoming and outgoing messages and limit the size those messages can be. Most messages that do not have attachments would not exceed 10MB for the value, so it seems likely that anything over 10MB is likely including an attachment.

5. golden_eyes

Okay, what about the best values for the 3 parameters? although I'm not able to found them in the Exim configuration, I hit the advance editor but they are not there, where I should place them?

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In the link provided, I indicate how to configure them:

You would place the values into the topmost box and save the area in the Advanced Editor for exim. I cannot recommend the values to use, since I do not know what server load you would consider to be high enough to suspend deliveries. The value used would be what you want to place for the load for the queue-based ones.

As for the message_size_limit option, if you wish to restrict it to 10M, then you would do:

Code:
    message_size_limit = 20M

7. golden_eyes

Thanks for your kind info, will test it and will let you know... :)

Appreciateddddddddddddddddddddddddd!