Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopped Receiving Server Backup Notifications

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by stefmob, May 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. stefmob

stefmob Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi guys,

I'm a website owner, but I'm really new to managing my own server. Please bear with me.

I had a guy set up my server for me, but I figured that learning how to manage my own server is a good long-term investment.

I'll be in the web business for a lifetime...so I'll be sticking around these forums for quite a while.

Anyway, here's my server information according to WHM: CENTOS 6.9 x86_64 xen hvm / cPanel & WHM 64.0 (build 24)

While my biggest overall problem is going to involve figuring out how to maintain my own server, for now, I have an immediate issue at hand:

I've stopped receiving server backup notifications via e-mail.

Here's what I've done to try my best to solve this issue:
    • I've checked my backup configuration, and daily backups are enabled with 3 retention backups
    • Weekly backups are enabled, with 2 retention backups
    • Monthly backups are enabled, with 1 retention backups
    • Looked in Contact Manager, and set "Backup Successful" importance to "High", and verified that the correct e-mail address is listed
    I *think* I might have stopped receiving backup notifications after I last ran yum update to update the kernel, because I know this happened around the same time period. But, I'm not totally positive of this.

Can anyone please advise me as to what to do?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks much!

-Stef

#1 stefmob, May 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you search /var/log/exim_mainlog to see if a delivery attempt for this notification was made? Here's a command you can use:

Code:
     exigrep "The backup process completed" /var/log/exim_mainlog
    If you see no results, search the recent backup logs in the /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup directory to verify they succeeded:

Code:
    grep "Final state is Backup::Success (0)" /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/*
    Thank you.

3. stefmob

stefmob Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I ran the first command that you gave me, and I can't exactly copy and paste the results that I found (I don't think) but I'll try my best to summarize what I see:

There's an SMTP error from the remote mail server because the system [my Gmail e-mail address] detected that the message is suspicious due to the low reputation of my server IP address.

Apparently, mail from my IP address is being temporarily rate limited.

Well, that sucks.

I guess I should change the e-mail that I receive notifications for perhaps to an e-mail address hosted by my own server, and see if that solves the problem?

Why is my IP address suspicious lol? I run a legitimate website.

Thank you very much for your help!!

Do you have any other recommendations for me?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you let us know the specific bounce message you see from Gmail?

Thank you.

5. stefmob

stefmob Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm not actually seeing any bounce messages in my actual gmail account (where I'm supposed to be receiving e-mail notifications for my server backups).

If you're referring to the specific message from /var/log/exim_mainlog - this is the message that I see:

Code:
    2017-05-25 17:36:14 1dDi9E-00010h-Qt SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: 421-4.7.0 [IP Removed] Our system has detected that this message is\n421-4.7.0 suspicious due to the very low reputation of the sending IP address.\n421-4.7.0 To protect our users from spam, mail sent from your IP address has\n421-4.7.0 been temporarily rate limited. Please visit\n421 4.7.0  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/188131 for more information. h187si28173261ioa.227 - gsmtp
    2017-05-25 17:36:15 1dDi9E-00010h-Qt == EmailRemoved@gmail.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-46) H=alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.210.26]: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: 421-4.7.0 [IP Removed] Our system has detected that this message is\n421-4.7.0 suspicious due to the very low reputation of the sending IP address.\n421-4.7.0 To protect our users from spam, mail sent from your IP address has\n421-4.7.0 been temporarily rate limited. Please visit\n421 4.7.0  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/188131 for more information. - gsmtp

I also ran the second command you gave me, and it looks like the backups have been succeeding I believe (thankfully!):

Code:
    root@server [~]# grep "Final state is Backup::Success (0)" /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/*
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/1494900001.log:[2017-05-16 02:04:33 +0000] info [backup] Final state is Backup::Success (0)
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/1495072801.log:[2017-05-18 02:04:54 +0000] info [backup] Final state is Backup::Success (0)
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/1495245601.log:[2017-05-20 02:04:42 +0000] info [backup] Final state is Backup::Success (0)
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/1495332002.log:[2017-05-21 02:05:51 +0000] info [backup] Final state is Backup::Success (0)
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/1495504801.log:[2017-05-23 02:04:45 +0000] info [backup] Final state is Backup::Success (0)
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/1495677601.log:[2017-05-25 02:05:08 +0000] info [backup] Final state is Backup::Success (0)

Do you have any suggestions for me?

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It looks like Google is rejecting the message based on the information they document at:

Why has Gmail blocked my messages? - Gmail Help

You can review the following URL to verify your server is following the recommended guidelines:

How to Keep your Email out of the Spam Folder - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

7. stefmob

stefmob Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for your help Michael. I'll try to figure out why Gmail is blocking emails from my server.

Do you know of any guides that I can follow to get familiar with maintaining my web server? Any relevant online courses that I should take?

If it helps, I use Amazon Web Services as well.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The cPanel University is a good place to start:

cPanel University

Thanks!

stefmob likes this.