The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopping removal of public_html

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by richy, Feb 28, 2005.

1. richy

richy Well-Known Member

We're getting a few customers each week who think it's a "good idea" to delete their public_html folder (admittedly some do attempt to recreate it - either as a single file or as "public_html /"). Is there any way of stopping users deleting public_html either via FTP or the FileManager?

2. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

It's not too hard to stop them. Just charge them to restore it. This works every time for us. In fact they will delete the mail folder as well.

3. richy

richy Well-Known Member

We do charge - but we'd rather not (and if it wasn't for the time needed...).

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I hear ya :) but you can't stop them from deleting important stuff. It happens all the time with my clients. They email me and tell what that they screwed it up. I make more money off of restores than I do the hosting!!! hehe

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

When someone signs up for hosting with you, do they get a welcome email with some basic instructions? We've never had a client remove public_html or mail because our welcome email explains what each folder is for so they know enough to not remove it.

6. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

My welcome emails do and even my cpanel-skel explains all that. It happens could times a year I guess. What can you do ..they delete stuff.

7. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

There will always be some fools who will still do it, maybe just for experimenting.

8. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Whilst our welcome email is quite detailed, I might try and add a README.txt file into the cpanel3-skel folder for the / folder explaining what each folder is for and an reminder not to delete them.

Even if 1 in 500 customers delete it, the rate we're growing means we're getting a few of these now and ideally I want to "nip it in the bud"...

If I can think of any good ideas (my mind is playing with the "immutable bit" idea, but I've got no idea if this will work and haven't had a chance to test it), I'll let others know...