Stopping removal of public_html

richy

Well-Known Member
Jun 30, 2003
274
1
168
We're getting a few customers each week who think it's a "good idea" to delete their public_html folder (admittedly some do attempt to recreate it - either as a single file or as "public_html /"). Is there any way of stopping users deleting public_html either via FTP or the FileManager?
 

rpmws

Well-Known Member
Aug 14, 2001
1,798
9
318
back woods of NC, USA
richy said:
We're getting a few customers each week who think it's a "good idea" to delete their public_html folder (admittedly some do attempt to recreate it - either as a single file or as "public_html /"). Is there any way of stopping users deleting public_html either via FTP or the FileManager?

It's not too hard to stop them. Just charge them to restore it. This works every time for us. In fact they will delete the mail folder as well.
 

richy

Well-Known Member
Jun 30, 2003
274
1
168
We do charge - but we'd rather not (and if it wasn't for the time needed...).
 

rpmws

Well-Known Member
Aug 14, 2001
1,798
9
318
back woods of NC, USA
richy said:
We do charge - but we'd rather not (and if it wasn't for the time needed...).
I hear ya :) but you can't stop them from deleting important stuff. It happens all the time with my clients. They email me and tell what that they screwed it up. I make more money off of restores than I do the hosting!!! hehe
 

PWSowner

Well-Known Member
Nov 10, 2001
2,903
4
343
ON, Canada
When someone signs up for hosting with you, do they get a welcome email with some basic instructions? We've never had a client remove public_html or mail because our welcome email explains what each folder is for so they know enough to not remove it.
 

rpmws

Well-Known Member
Aug 14, 2001
1,798
9
318
back woods of NC, USA
squirrel said:
When someone signs up for hosting with you, do they get a welcome email with some basic instructions? We've never had a client remove public_html or mail because our welcome email explains what each folder is for so they know enough to not remove it.
My welcome emails do and even my cpanel-skel explains all that. It happens could times a year I guess. What can you do ..they delete stuff.
 

richy

Well-Known Member
Jun 30, 2003
274
1
168
Whilst our welcome email is quite detailed, I might try and add a README.txt file into the cpanel3-skel folder for the / folder explaining what each folder is for and an reminder not to delete them.

Even if 1 in 500 customers delete it, the rate we're growing means we're getting a few of these now and ideally I want to "nip it in the bud"...

If I can think of any good ideas (my mind is playing with the "immutable bit" idea, but I've got no idea if this will work and haven't had a chance to test it), I'll let others know...