The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Bind Issue...

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by 4u123, Apr 23, 2007.

1. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

named: failed Apr 23 09:56:53 named: /etc/named.conf:2209: zone 'xxxxx.com': already exists.

I checked named.conf and sure enough there were two entries for that domain. I deleted them. There was no corresponding file in /var/named

So I try and restart bind ... same error! /etc/named.conf:2209: zone 'xxxxx.com': already exists.

I edit named.conf - there is no trace of the domain and I double check /var/named - no corresponding file.

Its as though the server has cached named.conf but I've never come across this before and wouldnt know how to clear the cache if there was one - can anyone help ?

2. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Tried a few things that didnt work so eventually as a last resort I rebooted the server.

Once it came up I did a "service named status" and got the rndc failed: connection refused error.

So I did /scripts/fixndc

and got about 100 errors like below...

chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on /var/named/chroot/proc/6444/task/6444/environ
    chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on /var/named/chroot/proc/6444/task/6444/auxv
    chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on /var/named/chroot/proc/6444/task/6444/status
    chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on /var/named/chroot/proc/6444/task/6444/cmdline
    chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on /var/named/chroot/proc/6444/task/6444/stat

No idea at all what the problem was there ^

Anyway - that appears to have done the trick and all seems to be working now. Thought I'd leave this thread in - in case anyone else has a similar problem.

:)

3. duranduran

duranduran Well-Known Member

try rpm -e bind-chroot-9.2.4-24.EL4
    ./fixndc

Works for me.