Strange domain.com-smtpbytes_log

jerrybell

Nov 27, 2006
In my domain log directory (/usr/local/apache/domlogs), I have been accumulating smtpbyte_log files for many domains that I do not host, including:
yahoo.com-smtpbytes_log
site.careerbuilder.com-smtpbytes_log
returns.groups.yahoo.com-smtpbytes_log
among many others. 46 of them at the moment, but new ones are popping up all the time.

Is this a known issue? Should I just delete them?

SpringChicken

Dec 16, 2003
Domlogs full of non hosted domains

/usr/local/apache/domlogs/ is full of logs for domains not hosted on my server also. could this be the reason why the server loads are peaking of late. they are all

DOMAIN-smtpbytes_log

must be thousands of them.

RickG

Feb 28, 2005
North Carolina
Just wondering if anyone has yet to find an explanation for these files. Looks like they are mail related ... possibly (?) due to the rate-limit feature? Have searched extensively but cannot find an explanation.

RickG

Feb 28, 2005
North Carolina
It's been suggested this is a known bug that was introduced in a recent build and corrected just recently. Unfortunately, the fix does not remove all the extra files that were created.

I did find the following in bugzilla but this is related to WHM 10.1.0 cPanel 10.2.0-R82

cPanel: want to jump in with more of an explanation :)

Scotty_B

Mar 1, 2003
I wish cPanel wouldn't do random stuff like this, the initial though when seeing these files is, bugger looks like the box has been compromised.