strange exim problem

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Has anyone noticed any strange problems with exim ?

From yesterday onwards one of my dual xeons has had severe loads (30+), and moment exim is shut down, the load subsides. I had looked at the exim queues and incoming mails, they are the regular and no increase looks from the logs as compared to the earlier months logs.

I tried to reset the exim, and whenever i try to run /scripts/reseteximtodefaults the load again increases.

I moved from stable to release, but no difference. The load has had load < 1 from so many months now. Yesterday suddenly this problem started up.

WHM 9.9.9 cpanel 9.9.9 R70

Any clues ?

Last edited:

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
release version also didn't help, moving to stable again.

stable : this started to given upcp errors something real funny at the cpanel end.

moving to current now.

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
Hi Anand,

Actually the release of exim that is installed has nothing to do with the version of cPanel installed (i.e. STABLE, RELEASE, etc).

What you can try is:

/scripts/exim4 --latest

See how that goes. If loads are still high, are you getting dictionary attacks?

Lastly, do you have APF installed? If so, have you enabled things like syncookie protection? Those settings can adversely effect SMTP, but I wouldn't have expected a load increas because of it, just slow connections.

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
chirpy said:
Hi Anand,

Actually the release of exim that is installed has nothing to do with the version of cPanel installed (i.e. STABLE, RELEASE, etc).

What you can try is:

/scripts/exim4 --latest

See how that goes.
As i said earlier i already did exim installation and put the default exim.conf in place just to rule out any modifications to exim.conf causing problems for the server.

FYI the STABLE release is giving bzip errors. I verified this on 2 different servers.

If loads are still high, are you getting dictionary attacks?
No dictionary attacks

Lastly, do you have APF installed? If so, have you enabled things like syncookie protection? Those settings can adversely effect SMTP, but I wouldn't have expected a load increas because of it, just slow connections.
syncookie protection is already enabled.

just exim alone when restarted is taking this dual xeon 3.0 ht to 30+ loads. i have gone through all mail queues and incoming mails, nothing seems unusual.

still trying to figure out what is going on with this.

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
:rolleyes: You did not say that you'd done a

/scripts/exim4 --latest

That is not the same as doing either:

/scripts/exim4

or

/scripts/reseteximtodefaults

syncookie protection is already enabled
Then as I suggested, try turning that off as it can cause problems for protocols such as SMTP.

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
chirpy said:
:rolleyes: You did not say that you'd done a

/scripts/exim4 --latest

That is not the same as doing either:

/scripts/exim4

or

/scripts/reseteximtodefaults
Not something to pick on however here are the /scripts/reseteximtodefaults contents
PHP:
#!/bin/sh

rm -f /etc/exim.conf.local*

/scripts/exim4

echo "Reset Complete"
Anyways the problem was resolved. While digging we found that the hdd could be at fault even though smartd nor any other diagnostic tool used showed any problems with the hdd. We placed another hdd and copied all the content over (surprisingly all content was copied without any probs only it was very slow in process) and the system came up normal.

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
I know the contents of that script and it still doesn't say:

/scripts/exim4 --latest

It's the --latest that I recommended you try and which you didn't say whether you did :rolleyes:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Email 3
G Email 3
S Email 0
mickalo Email 2
M Email 4