The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange exim process

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elleryjh, Oct 9, 2003.

1. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

My server load was up at about 1.4, so I checked the current CPU usage:

/usr/sbin/exim-MCS-MCP-MCQ232215-MCremote_smtpmx2.hotmail.com65.54.254.14531A7Lur-00031L-6K

had a CPU % of about 1.1.

It died without intervention in under a minute, but it wanted to know what it was. Does anybody know?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. markie

markie BANNED

A 1.1 load is nothing to be worried about. That process was just a connection to hotmail and that is also nothing to worry about. What worries me is all the problems we are having with connections to hotmail. Alot of the hotmail connections are timing out or not connecting properly and this has been an issue for a few days. Im wondering if hotmail is experiencing some kind of technical issue with their servers or if this is just another Exim issue.

3. elleryjh

By 1.1, i mean 110% of the server load. The entire server load is usually at .2 to .3. 1.1 for a single process seems very high.

4. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

It's % of CPU Process, so how could you infer it's the server load? He said CPU not Server load..

Brenden :)

5. elleryjh

Actually I thought they were the same thing.

The load accounding to the Service status page was about 1.4, as opposed to the usual 0.3, and the only process that was more than 0.1 was that one, at about 1.1

0.3 usual server load
    + 1.1 that strange process CPU usage
    = 1.4 total server load at that time

I haven't noticed it happening again, so I guess it was just a one time thing.

6. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I think I saw this same exact process on one of our servers...the hotmail part sticks out :)

7. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

Just to clarify a bit on server load and CPU usage. The two are related, but not the same. CPU usage is the actual use of the CPU (obviously) and server load is an index of whether your server performing at its optimum.

The server load is an indication of how much work is being done and waiting to be done. In the calculation of the server load, the CPU usage is used, but probably more important is the number and extend of the tasks waiting to be performed. If your server is constantly running at a load of 1.00, it means that it is working at its optimum, not overloaded nor wasting any time. In practice you would like to keep it below 1.00 most of the time but allow it to exceed 1.00 periodically.

With all the things going on at startup, it is to be expected that the server load will rise well above 1.00 for a couple of minutes. If you start with an empty mail queue, I would expect the server load to drop to normal levels within 3 to 5 minutes of booting.

cPanel has many checks in place that will inform the server admin when services fail/restart. My guess is that the Exim activity you see at startup is it's attempt to notify you that one or more services failed (you rebooted) and are starting again.

I hope my info above is accurate and helps a bit ;)