The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange FTP issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vizsion, Aug 21, 2006.

1. vizsion

vizsion Member

Hi all,

Ok, I've got a wierd FTP problem. Whenever I create a new account and connect to it via WS_FTP Pro, it connects fine. But, it doesn't display the user's public_html, etc. folders. Instead, it displays all of the folders in the server's file system (/bin, /boot, /dev, /etc, /home, /lib....etc.) Anyone have any ideas on what's going on here?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Which ftp daemon is the server using? If it's proftpd, then IIRC, that will show the full disk path and so if you set the default login dir to / it'll go to the top of the root tree. IF that's the case, then remove that from your FTP client.

3. vizsion

vizsion Member

It's using pure-ftpd.

Where would I set the login directory? When i add a new acount, there are no fields to specify the login directory.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's odd. pure-ftpd should be chroot and not allow you to see /, if you're not the server administrator you should check with your web hosting provider. If you are, then I'd suggest checking /etc/pure-ftpd.conf and see whether this is set:

ChrootEveryone yes

5. vizsion

vizsion Member

I checked the conf file, and it was set to YES. So, I changed it, restarted the FTP daemon, and tried logging in again. Same thing. I rebooted the server, and still getting the same thing. I'm lost here.