Strange issue while downloading emails localy

project

Oct 27, 2009
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello all!
I am having the following issue with one of my clients.

He downloads all email localy (using the mail client outlook express), but after some weeks the disk usage is full! Some emails are stored in the server (the mail folder) and i have to login via ftp and delete them manually.

When i login via webmail, there are no emails in the inbox that i can delete.

In outlook express the option of storing the email in server is unchecked.

Whats the problem?? What should i do??
Any idea would be helpful!

Thank you
Kostas

MaestriaNick

Aug 6, 2008
It looks like the mails are not being deleted from the server after downloading. Will need to check the maillogs in the server (/var/log/maillog) to see if the mails are getting deleted after fetching by the email client.

mtindor

Sep 14, 2004
inside a catfish
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
1. Make sure the account is using POP3 for access and not IMAP.

If they use IMAP, it's not going to delete messages from the server unless they specifically delete those messages from their local email client.

2. IF you are using Courier [rather than Dovecot], then:

1. edit /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/pop3d

a. find (and uncomment) this line: # POP3_LOG_DELETIONS=1
b. /scripts/restartsrv_courier

The above will log deletions to /var/log/maillog in this form:

Dec 18 09:42:01 inspiron17r pop3d-ssl: DELETED, [email protected], ip=[::ffff:14.3.36.35], filename=cur/1355841703.H752747P17343.inspiron17r.laptophosting.nu,S=7856:2,S

So, each time you see 'filename' and 'DELETED' in /var/log/maillog, you know that a specific message was deleted from an account.

NOTE : I would not leave this logging on, since it generates unnecessary additional logfile size and basically clutters things up. So, when you're done troubleshooting, comment out POP3_LOG_DELETIONS=1 in /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/pop3d and run /scripts/restartsrv_courier

M

Last edited: