The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange named problem on RHEL 5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elenlace, Sep 16, 2007.

1. elenlace

elenlace Well-Known Member

Hello,

I setup today my first RHEL 5 server, with named 9.3.3rc2, this is the first named configuration file I see with the "views" configuration, just to let CPanel guys know that out of the box it didn't work, I had to change the external views to:

view "external"
    {
    /* This view will contain zones you want to serve only to "external" clients
    * that have addresses that are not on your directly attached LAN interface subnets:
    */
    match-clients { any; };
    match-destinations { any; };

recursion no;
    // you'd probably want to deny recursion to external clients, so you don't
    // end up providing free DNS service to all takers

Now, the problem is that helped for domains in the server to be resolved externally (ie: from an external machine nslookup domain ns1.serverdns.com now WORKS, it resolves properly). Also, the server can resolve non-internal domains properly (ie: from inside the server, nslookup google.com works fine). However, for the server to resolve internally its own zones, it does not work:

[root@linux named]# nslookup serverdomain.com
    Server: x.y.z.z
    Address: x.y.z.z#53

** server can't find serverdomain.com: SERVFAIL

Of course serverdomain.com is just a name for my server's main domain. Why is it resolved externally but is not resolved internally?

Any thoughts?