The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange PHP behavior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gilman01, Sep 28, 2010.

1. gilman01

gilman01 Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Glen Rock, PA
    This morning my server started displaying strange behavior.

None of my logins are working on any application (Joomla, XCart, WordPress, phpBB, and all my custom php applications).

PHP is working - for example I can go to any of the Joomla sites and phpBB sites or XCart shopping cart sites and the pages serve up. But the moment I attempt to log in it just brings me back to the login screen.

mySQL appears to be working (I have to assume if it weren't I would see content on the Joomla sites, or products from my shopping carts. Also have scripts that read data and display on webpages and they all seem to be working).

I can log into WHM and all my cPanel interfaces for all the domains (approx 110 domains on this server). I restarted mySQL and Apache.

Server details:

cPanel 11.25.0-R44718 - WHM 11.25.0 - x 3.9
    CENTOS 5.5 x86_64 standard

I am wondering if there was something changed during the nightly cpanel update that might have changed a PHP setting.

I've got a ticket into the folks maintaining my server but have yet to hear from them and thought someone here might have seen this before.

Everything was working fine as of 11PM last night.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.
    #1 gilman01, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Sounds like an issue I once came accross when applying the kernal patch.

Have you applied the latest kernal patches for your board ?

If so you need to do some reverting as I had a same issue as it did seem fine then everything died soon as cPanel updated.

Maybe not though !

Check your logs, If alot have issues then your log files will be building up rather fast so it be easy to spot.
  3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Have you checked the permissions on the system "/tmp" directory? If the access permissions are not correct, it is possible that PHP is unable to write session files. What is the output of the following command:
    # stat /tmp
    If the access permissions are not 1777, the following command may be used to attempt a correction:
    # chmod -vv 1777 /tmp
    I'm not aware of anything in a stock-default installation that would trigger an automatic change to the PHP configuration.

Are you using any third-party plug-ins or PHP extensions/modules?

Please note that the version of cPanel specified, 11.25.0-R44718, is significantly out-of-date, and this is an indication that cPanel was not automatically updated on your system. The update preferences can be set to automatic or manual as needed. The latest version information is available via the following link: Latest cPanel/WHM Builds