Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Strange problem: server lock every few minutes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Secret Agent, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. Secret Agent

    Secret Agent Guest

    I have a strange problem on my server. My server locks up (nothing loads, no websits, no ssh) every 15 minutes or so (random time, just guessing aprpox 15 minutes). I am mind boggled as to what it could be that is causing this to happen. I'm 100% positive it is my server and not my ISP / network settings from my home office. I confirmed so, many times by connecting to other sites immediately and doing a speed test - all well but my server.

    These are the only errors I see other than the common "file does not exist" which is normal, in apache error logs

    [Tue Nov 29 00:11:30 2005] [notice] SIGHUP received. Attempting to restart
    [Tue Nov 29 00:13:11 2005] [warn] pid file /usr/local/apache/logs/ overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
    [Tue Nov 29 00:13:12 2005] [notice] Apache configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Tue Nov 29 00:13:12 2005] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/local/apache/bin/suexec)
    [Tue Nov 29 00:13:12 2005] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)

    [Tue Nov 29 05:12:19 2005] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake interrupted by system [Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!] (System error follows)
    [Tue Nov 29 05:12:19 2005] [error] System: Connection reset by peer (errno: 104)

    Are any of these two possible causes? Other than these two, I don't know what else could cause the server to act bizarre this way. Even /var/log/messages is 0 bytes.


    21 0 * * * /scripts/upcp
    0 1 * * * /scripts/cpbackup
    */15 * * * * /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsqueue > /dev/null 2>&1
    2,58 * * * * /usr/local/bandmin/bandmin
    0 0 * * * /usr/local/bandmin/ipaddrmap
    0 6 * * * /scripts/exim_tidydb > /dev/null 2>&1
    */1 * * * * /home/abc/parser/cerberus-2.649.Linux-2.4.18-3smp /home/abc/parser/boot.xml DEBUG /home/abc/parser/cerberus.log
    27 10 * * * cd /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/fantastico/scripts/ ; /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/php cron.php > /dev/null 2>&1
    */5 * * * * /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dcpumon >/dev/null 2>&1

    I did an OS reload a few days ago hoping to resolve this after spending so much time trying to trace it prior. I can't trace it unfortuantely. I confirmed it is only my server on the same router, no other servers and the data center network is perfectly fine.

    Server Info:

    Centos 4.2
    cPanel 10.x
    PHP 4.4.1 (even 4.4.0 was tested with same problem)
    Apache 1.3.34
    MySQL 4.1.13

    Software installed:

    zend optimizer
    Exim ACL

    Note: I have used the above configuration / software / modules for a very long time so I just cannot figure out what is causing this to happen.

    PHP 4.4.0 / 4.4.1
    Database Optimized
    /etc/my.cnf optimized
    php.ini optimized
    server load always near 0 (cpu average 0.10 / memory average 20%)
    apache logs (see above)
    /var/log/messages (0 bytes oddly)
    recompiled apached
    restarted services, even server
    network confirmed all ok via pings, mrtg/rtg, traceroutes, etc.
    cpanel upgradd via upcp --force
    disabled APF
    uninstalled nessus

    I hope someone will help me out on this. I am racking out my brains trying to trace this little ghost of a problem.
    #1 Secret Agent, Nov 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2005
  2. chirpy

    chirpy Well-Known Member Verifed Vendor

    Jun 15, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Go on, have a guess
    Are you getting load average spikes at the same time on the server? IF not, then it's likely to be one of:

    1. Faulty NIC

    2. Faulty NOC

    3. Other faulty hardware on the server
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Secret Agent

    Secret Agent Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I'm just about 100% sure it is not the hardware.

    I ran smartmon hard drive tests, 0 bad blocks
    I ran memtester - all good, 4GB total

    I've done a lot of testing.

    As a matter of fact, I think I possibly traced back to my home office network that may be the problem. It has become an insane ghost problem for me that I have never dealt with before. I have always (at least for a while now) knoww how to handle the networking infrastructure at my home and testing the server in the dc as well.

    I'm mind boggled. I even had already intended to purchase a router for the home office, Belkin Pre-N (excellent by the way). The issue has been on going before and after the new router was setup. I have connected the home pc direct to the modem, problem persisted. ISP says no problem on their. Data center says no problem on their end either.

    I have done an OS reload on the hosting server and my home system as well. Problem persisted before and still does after the reloads.

    Very difficult thing to trace.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice