The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange quota problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JeremyV, Mar 31, 2003.

1. JeremyV

JeremyV Well-Known Member

Not sure what the problem is, but here was my situation.

A user signed up, I created the account like I have been everyday... but I get a ticket saying they are exceeding their quota and before even uploading anything they are showing -5MB of available space :confused:

Curious, i take a look.. sure enough, brand new account, WHM and cpanel both saying they are 5MB over their quota. Ok... so I terminate the account and create it again. But WTF, the same thing? The new account is created with the user somehow using 205 MB. That ain't right, cuz I went in and looked, and they had no files, no emails, nothing. This all within 10 minutes of setting up the account.

So, I run /scripts/fixquotas or whatever to see if that helps. nope, nothing.

So I continue to mess with the account, terminate it, re-create it with a different username... same thing, different password, same thing, different everything I can think of... still creates the account with -5MB of disk quota.

So after an hour of pulling my hair out, I simply contacted the customer and set up his account on a different server. Worked fine the first time :confused: I don't get it, I had 2 other people sign up just last night for this server and they were setup just fine, but this person just would NOT get a valid account created.

Oh, just to add more to it, I tried to modify the quota from WHM, and no matter what I set it to, it never changed. So it was locked down at 200 MB quota, but 205MB was being used, so they couldn't do anything with their account.

Anyone seen this behavior before?

2. JeremyV

Sorry, I temporarily solved the problem by moving the account to a new server.

BUT, this is still happening and I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Any new account created on this particular server does so and as soon as it is created it is already using 205 MB. I have checked and don't see any files... and this wasn't happening just over a week ago.

You mentioned the minimum UID... no, did not change it, and never have. I always leave it blank.

Any other ideas? This is really becoming a problem since I can't create accounts on this server :mad:

3. JeremyV

Hmm, ok, you can ignore this as it may not be a cpanel issue afterall. (Well, sorta).

When creating the account within WHM everything goes fine. But when using a 3rd party script such as modernbill, all hell breaks loose. Very strange as this only started happening since upgrading to 6.2, and MB has not been updated in quite some time.

But anyway, somewhere along the line MB is passing incorrect info and causing this to happen, most likely due to some changes made to cpanel. But I will go ahead and work with MB support :) Thanks.

4. casey

casey Well-Known Member

I had this problem, too, so if there is a solution I'd like to know about it. I was making a test site, and saw that phenomenon. I deleted the account and everything has been fine since, but you never know...Just for the record, I was using WHM to set up the account and not a 3rd party script.

5. JeremyV

hey casey, any luck on this? Or any ideas from anyone else?

I posted over at MB, nobody else is reporting a problem and many others are using cpanel as well. And since casey said he was having trouble in WHM as well, I decided to try it a few times in WHM myself.

And yes, the same activity is now happening no matter how I try to set up an account :mad:

Again, I have not made ANY changes to the server as far as cpanel/whm settings go. I only let it update itself to 6.2.... then there were problems.

I have run fixquotas about 20 times, which never helps :confused:

6. casey

casey Well-Known Member

The account it happened to me on was deleted, so I haven't found anything out. However, this all happened before cPanel 6.2.0

7. trungms

trungms Registered

I'm facing same problem here. Is there any solution for this issue yet?

8. JeremyV

No solution yet... although now my accounts aren't created with a negative quota, but they are created with an unlimited quota :confused: The account says what plan it is (ie. starter plan with 100MB) but when it is created it says unlimited.

Hell if I know, very strange though.

9. rqsweat

rqsweat Active Member

I too am having the very same problem

#9 rqsweat, Apr 16, 2003
    Last edited: May 10, 2003
  10. simplybe

simplybe Well-Known Member

Same here Quota Modification is not working

11. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Hmm, I just got a package created with unlimited quota, but when I ran /scripts/fixquotas it put it back at the right amount. Perhaps it has something to do with me going to the modify quotas before running the script and typing in the correct amount. Mind you, though, when I typed the right amount and hit enter, the quota still read "unlimited".

12. observer

observer Member

Hello,

I have the same problem!
    I create manually the new account (30 MB) in WHM and
    AT ONCE - Disc Space Usage 6 MB!

My client at all does not know, that I
    have created the him account!

I some times deleted and created the
    account ... The Result identical - Disc Space - 30 MB;
    Space Usage - 6 MB!

CPanel Support - any ideas how to decide this problem?

13. casey

casey Well-Known Member

From another thread:

14. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Anyone have a solution to this problem? We are experiencing this problem now. This thread seems to be a few days old, I was just wondering if anyone has found a solution.

Thanks

15. observer

observer Member

Yes! That has told all casey correctly and works! Unfortunately so it is lost disk space, but what to do... I expected, that Support CPanel will tell something about it, but they are silent!

16. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Are you sure you've not got something in your cpanel-skel directory thats getting copied into the new account?

17. observer

observer Member

Yes! I am sure! But I have executed advice casey and these 6 MB were threw on testaccount.net!

18. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Not that this is the reason for all, but has anyone looked at their cpanel3-skel directory?

Remember when an account is created anything in that directory is copied over to the user and chown'd to that user.

Just a thought.

19. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Thanks David,

But this happens randomly. Not all accounts created have the quota problem, and the amount it says is used is also random. I had one that said 150 mb and another that said 64 mb.

This is a very strange problem.

20. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hmm, that sounds more like there are files on the server with no user attached and only a UID.

The biggest issue with the whole UID and such is that it doesn't have to be you (root) installing things that are packaged with the wrong uid.

If any client downloads something to their home directory and does not have it chown'd to there ID two things can happen.

1. Files do not count against their quota if not chown'd correctly.

2. If the uid of any files matches an existing user they inherit ownership AND the quota taken.

It is though very tiresome tracking down and fixing everytime.

But these are things to keep in mind. Also though note this is not a cpanel issue but a fact of *nix systems.

#20 dgbaker, May 10, 2003
    Last edited: May 10, 2003