The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Reboot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kris1351, Aug 28, 2003.

1. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Ran /scripts/fixquotas because all the quotas were out of whack as usual. It finishes and bam the server reboots. No errors, no messages or anything. Kind of wierd, it listed the main domain of the server as having 0meg of space also.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

The server shouldn't just reboot on its own and that cPanel script does not invoke a reboot. I would suggest you ask anyone who has access to your machine if they rebooted the machine, if no one did, then you should check your hardware, ask your data center to see if they did it and of course complete a security audit (should be done on a regular basis anyway).

Your quotas are probably out of whack because your machine isn't configured correctly as quotas are 98% handled by the operating system and not cPanel.

3. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

They Cpanel quotas are always out of whack. You can see hundreds of posts here. The script ended and the machine went down. There were no others logged in, no boot messages and no errors in the messages files. The box is configured fine as we have several of these. Even the fixquotas script was showing wierd things as it ran.

4. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

I really don't think that quota errors would bring your box down. The only type of error that would cause your box to go offline would be perhaps some kind of I/O, controller, etc. type of error.

5. Curious Too

Curious Too Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What kernel do you have installed? The quotas being out of whack are a result of a bug in the latest Redhat kernels, not because of anything cPanel did.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=90939

6. JPmorgan

JPmorgan BANNED

FYI, i noticed quota problems on my server at 4am ran fixquotas. The server went down like a ton of bricks. While it may not have physically crashed a reboot was necessary because it was unuvailable for 20min which indicates that fixquotas really does a number on CPU load. It spirials out of contol until the cpu cycles spike to a point where one cannot get the systems attention. The kernel i am using is does not have the quota issue. I am not alone on this issue!