Connor Smith

Registered
Oct 16, 2015
Glasgow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
For about 3 days my server disk space has been up at around 80-99% when it is usually around 30%.

I have tried to pinpoint the larger files through the terminal, but can't seem to get anywhere.

When in the furthest back directory in the terminal (/) and I run du - msh, I get 15GB. However, when I run df -h I get 37GB used.

Wondering if someone can point me in the right direction as to how to reduce the disk usage back to its normal values.

I did notice that my SMTP relay spiked to 5000 also, I presume these are somehow related?

The VPS I use didn't have any changes made to it, just suddenly seen a spike in the stats.

Thanks.

rpvw

Jul 18, 2013
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @Connor Smith

Since your profile says you are a root administrator I'll assume you have root access. Could you please run the following:

Code:
cd /
du -h --max-depth=1
This moves you out of root's homedir /root and into / from here you run the du command which should give you a relatively good idea where all the disk space is being allocated. Also can you run the following:

Code:
df -kh
And provide the output?

Thanks!

Connor Smith

Registered
Oct 16, 2015
Glasgow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Have you checked your backups are rotating correctly ?

If a backup does not complete successfully, the system may continue to retain the oldest backups, and your disk space will rise daily.

See Backup Configuration - Version 74 Documentation - cPanel Documentation
Hi @Connor Smith

Since your profile says you are a root administrator I'll assume you have root access. Could you please run the following:

Code:
cd /
du -h --max-depth=1
This moves you out of root's homedir /root and into / from here you run the du command which should give you a relatively good idea where all the disk space is being allocated. Also can you run the following:

Code:
df -kh
And provide the output?

Thanks!
Thank you for your help. I managed to solve the issue, back at a normal percentage again!

Thanks guys.