Connor Smith

Registered
Oct 16, 2015
Glasgow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
For about 3 days my server disk space has been up at around 80-99% when it is usually around 30%.

I have tried to pinpoint the larger files through the terminal, but can't seem to get anywhere.

When in the furthest back directory in the terminal (/) and I run du - msh, I get 15GB. However, when I run df -h I get 37GB used.

Wondering if someone can point me in the right direction as to how to reduce the disk usage back to its normal values.

I did notice that my SMTP relay spiked to 5000 also, I presume these are somehow related?

The VPS I use didn't have any changes made to it, just suddenly seen a spike in the stats.

Thanks.

rpvw

Jul 18, 2013
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi @Connor Smith

Since your profile says you are a root administrator I'll assume you have root access. Could you please run the following:

Code:
cd /
du -h --max-depth=1
This moves you out of root's homedir /root and into / from here you run the du command which should give you a relatively good idea where all the disk space is being allocated. Also can you run the following:

Code:
df -kh
And provide the output?

Thanks!

Connor Smith

Registered
Oct 16, 2015
Glasgow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Have you checked your backups are rotating correctly ?

If a backup does not complete successfully, the system may continue to retain the oldest backups, and your disk space will rise daily.

See Backup Configuration - Version 74 Documentation - cPanel Documentation
Hi @Connor Smith

Since your profile says you are a root administrator I'll assume you have root access. Could you please run the following:

Code:
cd /
du -h --max-depth=1
This moves you out of root's homedir /root and into / from here you run the du command which should give you a relatively good idea where all the disk space is being allocated. Also can you run the following:

Code:
df -kh
And provide the output?

Thanks!
Thank you for your help. I managed to solve the issue, back at a normal percentage again!

Thanks guys.