The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange temp ban?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zion Ahead, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Zion Ahead

Zion Ahead Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what's going on. But the past couple of days I've been noticing this strange, what appears to be a temp ban from my own personal site (yet other domains on the same server of mine can be accessed without an issue during the temp ban). I *can* see the site via proxy without a problem, while unable during the temp ban which seems to last about 5-10 minutes. Its a vbulletin forum too.

I am using CSF firewal. I even logged and saw the temp ip ban list empty. My ip was not listed in the main block of course. What could cause this? It only started about a day or two ago and I did not do anything to the configuration.

Is it possible that it would be dos deflate? I'm using Apache 2.2, PHP 5.2.5 and MySQL 5.

2. dflteche

dflteche Member

Hey,

check with your .htaccess file and see if there are any deny IP's in it, if so remove them....

3. Zion Ahead

That makes no sense at all. What part of "temporary" did you not understand???

4. darren.nolan

darren.nolan Well-Known Member

I believe when it came to my setup with CSF - any login-fail, mod_security break etc. that CSF would do a "temp" ban permanently. Sounds like you've fixed that up however.

CSF will block anyone that does hits mod_security too often. I know that with things like vbulletin, phpMyAdmin and more - they often use long URLs - which mod_security doesn't like and takes as an "attempted attack".

Check your mod_security log, check for breaks on your site, find the rule that's causing the error and remove it if it's safe to do so.

Cheers,

5. Zion Ahead

"No entries found in /usr/local/apache/logs/modsec_audit.log"

Nothing in the logs.

6. darren.nolan

darren.nolan Well-Known Member

Strange.

When you get a temp ban - in CSF you can ask to be notified of email - is this your current setup?

If so it should tell you why the ban is occurring. Maybe check the log for CSF for any clues.

7. gtgeorge

gtgeorge Well-Known Member

CSF would block you from the entire server, not just your site. You must have something running on that particular site that is blocking you. Any scripts running there?