The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming Video from CPanel - Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aboleth, May 4, 2006.

1. aboleth

aboleth Well-Known Member

I am interested in doing streaming video, and I'm having trouble finding out what kind of support CPanel has for this. i found a little bit about realplayer files, (builld a RAM file and point it to a .RM file), but i don't know what other formats CPanel will have support for. Is there a way to stream windows media on anything but a media series 9 server? Would it be better to link to a server that is dedicated for streaming media? Any help you can give I would appreciate.

2. DalQuest

DalQuest Member

Streaming isn't a function of cpanel and I hope it never will be. To find out how to stream media from your sites, try this link http://catalyst.washington.edu/how-to/digitalvideo/wmstreaming.html

there are additional links at tha bottom of that page for other media formats.

-D-

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

You can stream data out of fixed files without any special server additions. It is dependent on the file being correctly formatted for 'streaming'.

This is known as progressive downloading (often confused with streaming) and is what happens when you open a URL-based media file such as a WMV or RM file and it begins playing before it has fully downloaded.

For Quicktime movies, you would need to add 'hinting' to the file. The same should exist for WMV files, but then when MS is involved you can never be so sure.

4. aboleth

aboleth Well-Known Member

Thanks for point me in the right direction guys. these forums have been very helpful every time I have used them!