The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling to make an automatic backup via cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by luminous, Apr 3, 2011.

1. luminous

luminous Member

Hi all. I am a new web designer, and have taken the step to buy a reseller account over at Zen. I have more than 10 sites that I look after, and am now in the situation where I would like to create automatic backups, as making manuals ones for each and every cPanel is just too labourious.

I have read about various scripts that you can download, and then use cron to make them run. I have wiki'ed cron and tried to find a suitable guide, but am not making much progress.

I have my own ftp server with 1Tb space available to accept the backups I make, but I have no idea how to properly configure the cpanel or my web servers to get this process underway.

Could someone point me to a guide that will hold my hand through this?
    a) I have no understanding of cron with regards to my reseller account. I can find no mention of cron anywhere, either on the cPanel, the servers folders or my hosting account - so all the wonderful information about adding xyz to cron is not helping me at all
    b) I have found a few scripts that look promising, but will happily accept recommendations to get this going.

Sorry for my noobness, but we were all there at some point!

#1 luminous, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In WHM > Backup > Configure Backup is where you'll setup your backup. Check your settings at bottom of that page for remote FTP.

3. luminous

luminous Member

Thanks for your idea, but I do not have that option in my WHM. There is no backup area at all in the WHM environment, I have looked all over several times!

The only options I have for backup are within the cPanel it would seem.

4. m4rc3

m4rc3 Active Member

luminous,

The best thing would be to contact your host.
    They will either grant you privileges to that area or setup the backups for you ( This depends on the quality of their support, etc )

5. focuz

focuz Registered

Yeah Infopro nailed it right on, so if you don't have the option you most likely are on a reseller account. You must have a dedicated box to setup server backups.

6. luminous

luminous Member

Thanks all for the advice. You were spot on, I have a reseller account and therefore I do not have access to the Backup functions within WHM. In addition to this I do not have access to any form of cron job, and nor do my host make any form of backup that I as a user can have access to. I was informed that they have some sort of rolling backup, that may or may not contain information that I might want in the event of a recovery, however there would be a charge for this recovery service should I need it.

To say that I am unimpressed with my host is an understatement. Zen are meant to be one of the best out there, and not having an automated backup service is really poor in my opinion. My previous hosts, for all of their many MANY failings, did at least have an easily accessible automated backup service.

7. MikeHigginbotto

To be fair to Zen it's really cPanel that's (kinda) at fault here. Zen use cPanel because it's great but it just so happens that it doesn't, yet, support automated backups. It is reasonably straightforward to set this up using a PHP script, FTP server and cron. A lot of the solutions out there are using an outdated script though so I wrote up a new version with a bit of background on how to set up the FTP server, your route and cron to get the job done. You can read my writeup /http://mikehigginbottom.com/content/automatic-cpanel-backups but given your comments about cron you might need a bit more background.

Essentially it all depends on where you want the backups to end up. My article assumes you want them on your own machine on your network. Given that, you need to set up an FTP server on your machine (I suggest FileZilla) and a version of cron (I suggest pycron if you're using Windows). You'll likely fall foul of router problems when you try this so make sure you open up all the relevant ports including those needed for Passive Mode FTP.

That's the basics but if you runinto problems reply here and I'll see what I can do to help.

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You're speaking of end users being able to create automated backups I take it?

9. MikeHigginbotto

Well I guess the term 'end user' depends on what perspective you're coming at it from but yes, from MY perspective when I use the cPanel front end through my hosting provider, automated backups are not available.

10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes that would be the end user of cPanel for me. Lets assume you could as an end user create a cron to automatically backup your account and sent it to a remote FTP. And lets say you're not alone, theres 150 other accounts that also would like to do this and all those crons all run at various times of the day, depending where the end user is located in the world and when he wants the cron to run. In that sort of situation the server could be brought down to a crawl I would think.

11. MikeHigginbotto

Absolutely. I wasn't meaning to suggest this is a feature cPanel are remiss for omitting; hence my use of the word 'kinda' in my OP. As with all features there are a multitude of factors that need to be addressed, 99% of which end users aren't in a position to be aware of.