The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck in endless reboot loop...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jscott14, Feb 5, 2009.

1. jscott14

jscott14 Member

I'm really not certain if this issue is related to WHM, but I have to give it a shot. We have a production server with about 100 websites that was working perfectly up until this evening. It uses Red Hat Enterprise 5 and Xen to virtualize our server into different machines.
    This evening, while our server was running WHM v11.23, we decided to upgrade to the .24 version. The upgrade process seemed to have locked up at 20% (the progress indicator mentioned SOMETHING about and FTP update). At any rate, after seeming to be "frozen" in the update process, we decided (unwisely, I fear) to click the "graceful reboot" option. After doing that, it has not booted properly, and all 100 of our sites/e-mail are down.

I spent the last few hours in the datacenter where our server is located with a 24-hour technician. When we hooked up a monitor to the server, we can see that the server will get to the first Red Hat boot screen (where it has a countdown timer that tells us it will be loading a kernel in 3,2,1 seconds). When it begins to load after this, it goes to a DOS-looking screen (sorry, I'm truly not a server guy) with a big dump of commands that all start with <Xen>. When it gets to the command:

<Xen> Xen is relinquishing VGA console

it pauses, then reboots just as if you hit the reset button.

At this point, I'm trying to ascertain if this problem is at all related to the update/reboot that I did via WHM, or if it could, in fact, simply be a hardware or OS issue that coincidentally timed with our update/reboot.

The tech at our datacenter has done many of the obvious hardware checks (BIOS updated, RAM swapped out with new memory, all connections re-seated), but to no avail. I'm leaning towards this being an OS/file issue, yet the tech seems to think this is hardware-related.

Worse yet, there really isn't a resource at our datacenter who knows Red Hat, Xen, or WHM. The tech who originally configured our machine (a dual quad-core Xeon HP server) is no longer with the company and we can't reach him. I realize this is a shot in the dark for help, but it's a pretty urgent problem for us, and I figured it's worth taking to some of the experts here. Thank you.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The jump from 11.23 to .24 would have I think, taken a fair amount of time to update. Rebooting surely did not help.

That said, these forums are not exactly the fastest way to get assistance. Click the link in the bottom footer of these forums to submit a ticket to cPanel support. If anyone can help, it's those wonderful gentlemen.

3. jscott14

jscott14 Member

Thanks, infopro... submitted!

4. jscott14

jscott14 Member

I just thought I'd post my own brief reply to this, in case others might look here for a similar problem. To be clear, the issue wasn't WHM-related at all. In fact, the server wasn't even booting to the point where it could load the VPS. In our configuration, we use Xen and RHEL. After a power-button reboot, the server ran into a known Xen issue that comes up when Xen tries to pass along more than 4GB of RAM to dom0. In our case, we had 8GB of RAM.

The issue was tricky to hunt down, because by all accounts, it was a problem loading the LINUX kernel (it would always error out loading line 451). Nevertheless, explicitly allocating 512MB of RAM to dom0 solved the problem for us.