The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Load Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pjman, Aug 21, 2007.

1. pjman

pjman Well-Known Member

I have been running a 1.3 MHZ Single CPU Red Hat 7.3 for about 5 years now. The average load on the system with 5 high traffic sites was (0.5) on 1 CPU.

I'm moving to a new server a 3.0 GHZ Dual Core Dempsey. The server now shows 8 CPUs. I have been looking around the forums and have come to realize that 8 CPUs really = 4 CPUs.

But as far as my load average on my new server would I 0.5 Load on a single CPU be the same as 2.0 Load on 4 CPUs.

I'm just wondering because I usually investigate any long loads over a 2.0 now. Should I not worry until it reaches an 8.0 now?

Any input is much appreciated.

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Your old box was single cpu therefore a load of 1 would be one full cycle to complete all the processes in line.

So your .5 load is indeed half your cpu cycle. After you go beyond a load of 1, you will start into your wait time so a load of 1.5 would effectively take 1 1/2 cycles to get through the current tasks.

So with your new box, a load of 2 would indeed require half of your cpu time which is equal to .5 on your old box, that is correct.

A load of 4 would be your full cpu cycle capacity given the threads are evenly stressed, with 0 wait time. You have effectively 4 cpu's multithreaded. You may not notice a lag or wait time until you hit a load of 6 to 8 and still not be a concern.

I have many dual quad boxes with extreme traffic that run happy and cool with a loading of 16 and show no signs of lag or stress. Amazing performance.

3. pjman

pjman Well-Known Member

1000 Thanks for taking the time.

Finally I understand it. One less thing I have to ponder during my migration to the new box.

Thanks Again.