The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid question - VPS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tdens, Aug 21, 2011.

1. tdens

tdens Member

What does VPS mean to WHM and WHM users? To me, VPS (Virtual Private Server) means a single VM instance running for a single customer (virtual and private) that emulates having a collo'd box in a data center. Several posts I've read, as well as a response I got from the sales team, make me believe that perhaps others are using this acronym to mean anything running on a VM at all.

To me:

ESXi running multiple instances of centos with WHM installed, serving web pages, mail, mysql and DNS for end customers, but managed by the provider, *is not* VPS.

ESXi running a single instance of centos for a single end customer to do whatever they want with it, up to and including running WHM, *is* VPS.

Am I misunderstanding how the WHM community uses the term?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The VPS main node controls the VPS individual nodes. Are you perhaps conflicting the usage here between individual VPS nodes that are containers for each WHM instance and the main VPS controlling those containers?

3. tdens

tdens Member

Do you consider centos with WHM running on vmware but serving multiple end users a VPS?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    WHM should not run on the main node for a VPS machine if that is what you are describing. WHM should only be installed on individual VPS containers.