Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SU as root - incorrect Password

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by enahs, Feb 23, 2015.

1. enahs

enahs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think I just finished searching the entire internet for an answer to this problem :)

A while back I did as best practices recommends and made it so that the root account cannot SSH into our server. I created another account that allows me to get into the server and then "su root" to become root at that point. This worked without any issues months ago and I used it a few times not longer after this change. However, I have not been into the server for some time now and no matter what I do I cannot su or use sudo either. It asks for the password as it should but it always tells me the password is incorrect. I can log into WHM as root without any issues and I even "changed" the root password from within WHM without any issues. Almost everything I find on the internet requires me to have root access so obviously none of those fixes will work for me because the only access I have to the root account is by doing "su" or "sudo".

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. enahs

enahs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK - I found out that it is cPHulk Brute Force Protection causing this issue. Question now is why was it doing this when I have my IP whitelisted!? I mean I could log into everything including cPanel as a end user account as well not just WHM.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

Could you review /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cphulkd.log for the time of the login failures and verify the specific output that shows up?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...