The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Domain Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korupt, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Korupt

Korupt Registered

Ok I am having problems setting up subdomains and making it so people can log into their own account. Basically what I want is everybody to have username.domainname.com type of setup with their own ftp info. Could someone guide me through this please?

2. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    you have a domain name as: korupt.com

you want to create 2 users .. say money and dollar so their subdomains will be:

money.korupt.com and dollar.korupt.com. Also you want to create individual ftp logins for them. Am I right ?

In this case; create 2 subdomains from your control panel as money.korupt.com and dollar.korupt.com. Now go to ftp manager: Use the add account feature to add account and make the accounts money and dollar with the corresponding passwords with access to: /home/korupt/public_html/money and /home/korupt/public_html/dollar respectively. In the above path korupt is the corresponding username.

Thatz it.. u r done. you have created individual subdomains for money and dollar with individual access via ftp.

3. Korupt

Korupt Registered

Everytime I try doing that the page say money.korupt.com isn't viewable. The only way I see it is if I go to say http://korupt.com/money

For some reason I think I did something wrong when setting the stuff up, but I did exactly what you said above.

4. linux-image

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    if that is the case it is because the DNS is not updated. While you create money.korupt.com; an entry for money should be made at the named running for korupt.com aliasing it to the ip address of korupt.com

Even it this is made; it might take some time for it to resolve; due to the propagation delay. Hence you need to wait for say.. 24 hrs or so to check if this has turned up; else you will have to check the named file for the domain.

5. Korupt

Korupt Registered

Basically what you are saying is I go into CPanel I make money.korupt.com then I go to somewhere like godaddy.com or wherever I bought my domain and I setup money.korupt.com their also. Then in about 24-48 hours my subdomain will work?

6. linux-image

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    in a normal case you needn't do anything. You will have to contact your hosting provider and ask him to add an "A" record for the subdomain name at the named and they will do it for you.

7. king620

king620 Member

the same problem as mine. except that im using a managed dedicated linux server.
    when you say "A", does it mean the record type?

I can see in the DNS zone that it has the following:

DOMAIN TTL in Record type

with the following correspondence:

DOMAIN: subdoman1
    TTL: 14400
    REcord type: A

and beside the record type is the ip add 12.23.34.45

Is this suppose to be correct?
    If yes, why hasn't this resolved yet? I've set the subdomains since
    2days ago.

I hope to hear from you.

8. LA_fro

LA_fro Well-Known Member

1) confirm that it is setup in the dns zones for the account if it isn't create it again

2) login via ssh and check if it was set correctly in httpd.conf

** never edit this without first generating a backup