The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Domain Query

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sm9, Nov 3, 2009.

1. sm9

sm9 Active Member

Hi there,

I have a website in a cPanel account, e.g. http://www.mywebsite.com

A new website has just been launched on a different server but I've been asked if the old website could still be made available via a new sub domain of http://old.mywebsite.com

As the old website is the only website in this cPanel account, do I simply need to create a subdomain with my domain name host and point it at the server's IP address to make this work?

Or do I need to also transfer the site into a proper sub-domain on the server too?

THanks for any advice,

Stephen

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First login to the old server and rename the account from domain.com to old.domain.com

Then login to your DNS server and add an A record for old.domain.com to the old IP.

That should be all you need to do.

3. sm9

sm9 Active Member

Thanks for this John.

I haven't tried this on the site in question yet, but before I saw your post, I had a little play with a development site I have.

What I did there was to add a parked domain on top of mytestdomain.com or old.mytestdomain.com. I then created an A record pointing to the server's IP address for old.mytestdomain.com

I think this seems to have worked too, though it's only a 1 page test site site so it's difficult to know whether this was a good alternative solution or not yet.

Thanks,

Stephen