uk01

Dec 31, 2009
Hi has anyone ever experienced a sub domain being slightly slower?

We have a magento staging site set up
exactly the same site, redis caching etc
Both php-fpm php7 etc

The pages on the main www load instantly but the pages on the staging sub domain have a slight delay.

Checking pingdom it's the wait time
Checking google pagespeed, ratings are lower

Weird! It's like main domains take priority in cpamel.

Chi.C.J.Rajeeva Lochana

May 27, 2019
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I think the issue is with resolving the subdomain. I don't think cPanel has priorities about this. Are you using a CNAME record for the subdomain? Maybe try using an A record for the subdomain (in your DNS in your domain name provider). To do this, first delete the CNAME record, wait until you cannot access the website from the subdomain. And then create an a record with host as "yoursubdomainname" and enter the ip in the points to column.

Last edited:

Chi.C.J.Rajeeva Lochana

May 27, 2019
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
If I understand your question, I think you have both main domain and subdomain running absolutely the same website (everything the same), the subdomain is www. And you see that the page load is slightly slower than the main domain without the subdomain. Am I right?

I meant that CNAME's are milliseconds slower than A records, so I wanted to know about your case. I am not familiar with Magento, so need to wait :( for someone else to answer. Anyways, here's a reason from an external website, check the answer in this link, Is subdomain (CNAME) slower than using original address?.

But anyways, do you use CloudFlare's CDN? What domain registrar do you use?

Last edited:

rackaid

Jan 18, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Magento relies heavily on caching. I work on a couple of larger, busy Magento shops. If caching has any issues, server loads go up. After full reboots and cache clearance, the server loads will be higher for a period of time.

So even if you have two identical sites, they may have varying response times (by even seconds) due to caching. There's not anything inherent in cPanel to make a sub-domain perform more slowly than a primary domain.