Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Sub-domains being indexed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThePete, Feb 17, 2017.

1. ThePete

ThePete Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I hope this is the right place to ask this so please forgive me if not...

I have several domains using Cpanel.

We'll call my main domain "Domain1".

I've added several add-on domains to Domain1 and the automatically get added as sub-domains.

Well, Google has took it upon itself to index my domains as part of the main domain. So if I search I'll get "Domain2.Domain1.com"

I don't want this. I need to make sure Domain2 never gets seen as part of Domain1.

I've searched and haven't found a clear answer on this. Some say exclude it in Google, other say a robots.txt file and yet still find more about a .htaccess file.

Can someone point me to a clear answer??

Thanks!!

Oh, and I did ask my host and they said it can't be done and that I have to sign up for a whole new account.

#1 ThePete, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ThePete

ThePete Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Yes, I can do that.. Would that stop Google from indexing it though? Cause I've got one of my other domains in a directory off the root called "domains" and not under the public_html directory. But it'll still resolve if I use Domain3.Domain1.com.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    When you attempt to add an addon domain, in the doc root section of the form, does it autofill with "public_html/addondomainexample.com?

If yes, and you're not able to modify doc root, your Hosting Provider may have the option enabled in WebHost Manager to prevent it.
    Tweak Settings - Domains - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

If the addon is placed outside the public_html, google can only access the addon domain. It will not show up as a subdomain as you mention.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...