The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subdirectory, addon domains & dns

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by TKPRiva, Mar 7, 2010.

1. TKPRiva

TKPRiva Registered

Hello; I would love some help on this matter. I am reasonably capable, but am new to cpanel and terminology at the web server end, so I am unsure what to "look for" when trying to educate myself on how to accomplish this task.

We have a primary domain, eg: 'www.primary.com'
    we have added a sudomain, presently located in a subdirectory, of above, eg, 'www.sub.primary.com' (ie with the document root in /sub)

We own a domain name , eg: 'mydomainname.org', and want to ensure that when someone types in 'mydomainname.org' that they land on the site that is stored in 'www.sub.primary.com' (the /sub document root) without seeing the "primary.com" portion of the url.

Before I transfer the parked domain name (registered with network solutions), what should I do in cpanel?
    The sudomain shows in cpanel, but I don't know what to do next. In the domains portion of cpanel, I see options of "sudomains" "addon domains" "parked domains" "Redirects" and "Simple DNS Zone Editor", but alas it's all greek to me, and I'd rather ask first than do and then ask how to remedy :)

Advice very much appreciated.
    TKPRiva

#1 TKPRiva, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. TKPRiva

TKPRiva Registered

Hi Thanks for the response, but no that is not what I need to know. I can handle the domain transfer at the dns end. I am asking what else I have to do in cpanel BEFORE i initiate the transfer in order to accomplish the setup I need regarding the urls. Riva

3. JordiCS

JordiCS Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

This is the "Addon domains" stuff. No need to create the subdomain first, it is all done together.

Addon Domains

First of all you need to change the NS records for your domain at your registar, or you'll get an error when trying to point it to your subdomain.

Regards,

#3 JordiCS, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  4. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

You will need to contact your domain registrar 'mydomainname.org' to set the domain forwarding with URL Masking which forwards to ''www.sub.primary.com'.

5. TKPRiva

TKPRiva Registered

thanks for the reply.
    just to make sure we are talking about the same thing.. if i do as you sugggest,
    a visitor to the site will not be aware they are in a sub domain of our other site, ie the www.sub.primary.com is not visible to them, and they will only see the registered domain url (mysubdomain.org).

the subdomain files are in the .sub of the above url
    the primary domain files are in www.primary.com

Sorry to reiterate, but I want to be sure I comprehend, and we are both talking about the same outcome, before I make the changes.

take care
    TKPRiva