The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomain & Add-on Directory Structure - Design Flaw

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpiderDog, May 18, 2006.

1. SpiderDog

SpiderDog Registered

Hi Everyone,

I have a shared server account with my hosting company, and I would like to have some flexibility with the directory structure as to where folders are created when I create sub-domains and add-on domains. It seems however that this is not possible with cPanel. I would like to request that this be evaluated as a design flaw and resolved.

A serious consequence of this is that the directory structure of public_html does not allow the creation of the same subdomain name for different add-on domains. I would like to suggest that the user, with non-root access, should be able create add-on domains in a subfolder under the top-level folder, public_html. Shared users, for example, are not allowed to edit: /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.

Let me illustrate the issue in the code box below. Let's say you register with your hosting provider using 'www.my_site.com'. All folders and files will reside in the public_html folder. Now suppose you want to create add-on domains, 'addon1' and 'addon2'. Then you want to create sub-domains under each of the addon domains. Logical analysis, and standard file system convention, suggests that you should be able to create 'subdomain1' and 'subdomain2' under each of your two add-on domains. cPanel, with it's current design limitations, however, does not allow this.

Your directory structure remains 'flat', meaning all your add-on and sub-domains will reside in 'public_html'. This tends to create a virtual 'mess' if you have more that three or four addon domains with a couple subdomains in each!

What the design should allow, ideally, is the following:
    Code:
    public_html
         addon-domains
                addon1
                       subdomain1
                       subdomain2
                addon2
                       subdomain1
                       subdomain2
          folder1
          folder2
    This requires that you be able to specify the folder into which to place each of your add-on and sub-domains. cPanel does not let you do that, however.

What Cpanel does instead is put everything in the 'public_html' folder:
    Code:
    public_html
          addon1
          addon2
          folder1
          folder2
          subdomain1
          subdomain2
    There is a cPanel convention coming up this Summer and I hope these issues will be introduced and resolved.

Related Posts:
    Addon Domains.
    Subdomain Directory Structure.
    Creating Subdomains with Same Name.

cPanel's Training Seminar will be held on June 7th and 8th, 2006, in Houstin, TX.
    They will also be attending the HostingCon.com conference in Las Vegas, July 17-19, 2006.

Thank you very much.

#1 SpiderDog, May 18, 2006
    Last edited: May 18, 2006
  2. internetfab

internetfab Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This is a flaw that cpanel should do something about.
    Anyone from cpanel reading this? What's your thoughts on this?

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you want to suggest it to cPanel you'll have to open an enhancement request in bugzilla.

4. internetfab

internetfab Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It's already done.. in the year of 2005. Ive voted on it and have added my comments.
    There's over 1700 Bugs in bugzilla with most of em status NEW..

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Then clearly cPanel don't agree with you or it is not a priority for them.

6. electric

electric Well-Known Member

It's a good suggestion, and your proposed folder structure is good (better).

The problem is that the current system "works", albeit with some serious limitations (as you described).

These limitations, however, are not enough to justify the major amount of work that would be required to reprogram the existing system. Plus, once any new system is created.. then all existing folder structures would need to be converted.

And that... would be a nightmare for cpanel support.

I predict that in the year 2020, this feature request will still not be implemented.

I don't know why the cpanel people don't just close 3/4 of the feature requests in the system where they know 100% they will never be implemented. Seems silly to have a feature request/bug system where things are submitted and then sit there for years in "new" status... :rolleyes:

7. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have to agree with SpiderDog, this is a design flaw, and it's becoming a pain in the neck to support as well.

Here's the problem.

Let's say we have a main domain for the comapny: www.companyabc.com, with some remote branches, companyabcbranch1.com, companyabcbranch2.com, companyabcbranch3.com

This will create something like:

Code:
    /home
             public_html
                         branch1
                         branch2
                         branch3

Now, let's say there's a support department in each branch, so you want:

support.companyabc.com
    support.companyabcbranch1.com
    support.companyabcbranch2.com
    support.companyabcbranch3.com

This doesn't work with the current design.