The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomain can't be accessed directly..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atheros, Nov 18, 2010.

1. atheros

atheros Member

Hi all,

I have a server with whm/cpanel installed.

I have a problem when I create a subdomain where the subdomain that i have just created can not be accessed directly. I had to wait about 1-3 hours to be accessible.

Does anyone know, what should I do? Can I speed up for it?

Code:
    WHM 11.28.39
    CENTOS 5.5 i686 standard
    Thank you.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The resolvers that your workstation uses may be caching DNS data and not updating very quickly. This is common with many ISPs. You can try using an alternative set of resolvers for your workstation. One option that you could try, as an experiment, is Google's Public DNS service:

Google Public DNS

If using Google's resolvers makes your workstation resolve new subdomains sooner, then you have proven that your ISP's resolvers caching data is the cause of the issue.

3. atheros

atheros Member

Thanks for the reply.

Does that configuration set on my server or my local computer (the computer that I used)?

I think this problem not on my local computer, because after I made the subdomain, the subdomain that I just have created also can't be accessed from another computer (using another ISP too).

Or, can I use Google DNS as my DNS's Server?

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suggested using Google's DNS servers as the resolvers on your local workstation, not the server, to either confirm or eliminate your ISP's caching nameservers as the cause of the problem. If the same thing happens to workstations on other networks, however, then this is probably not the problem.

Have you tried restarting the nameserver service (Main >> Restart Services >> DNS Server (BIND/NSD)) after adding a subdomain? Does the new subdomain start working immediately after restarting the nameserver service?

Also, are you running your own nameservers, or are you using an external DNS service for the domains hosted on your server?

5. atheros

atheros Member

Yes, I am using my own DNS for my server (not DNS from my hoster).

Until now, I have not tried to restart the DNS service on my server after adding the subdomain. Okay, I'll try this and I'll report again for the update :)

Thanks.