The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomain CNAME Pointed to Dynamic DNS Provider -- is this OK?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by orty, Jan 11, 2012.

1. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a client who hosts their main website with me, but part of the site ties in with their online transaction server at their office (an old IIS machine -- I hate that stupid machine <hehe>). They wanted it setup on a subdomain (secure.domain.com), so I got a static IP at their office, pointed the dns for the subdomain to that, and we were golden. Worked for years.

Recently, they got a fail over internet connection in their office. I wanted to make it so that if the office IP address changes (because their main line went down), people could still hit the secure.domain.com server. I recently set it up so that the CNAME "secure" went to the full domain name of their dynamic IP (something to the effect of domain.noip.org). I basically have their firewall at the office setup to update noip with their IP address, should it change.

While this works, is there any reason I *shouldn't* be doing this? I've seen anecdotal evidence all over that this is all fine and dandy, but I figured I'd ask here. SSL certificate on the IIS machine appears to still serve valid, I just want to make sure there's nothing I'm missing or I'm good to leave it like this.

Thanks!

2. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    anybody? Like I said, it works, but I'm not a DNS wizard, and don't know if this is the best/kosher way of doing it.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I do not see any problems with that configuration. The only thing to consider is if the server that handles the DNS for that domain name fails at the same time as the office IP address changing. In such a case, it may be useful to have a DNS cluster configured if you have a spare server.

Thank you.

4. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yup, already have the DNS for that domain clustered with another cPanel server I manage at a completely different datacenter, so we're good there :). But would it even matter of the IP address changes, since I'm CNAMEing to the "xxx.noip.org" address?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It will not matter if the IP address changes as long as it's properly updated by the third-party provider (noip.org in this case).

Thank you.

6. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's all I needed to hear. Just wanted to make sure I was covering my bases.

Thanks!