The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomain creation outside of cPanel, existing solution?

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by Eri, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Eri

Eri Registered

I am a mid-level PHP coder and have been asked to create an application that, among other things, generates subdomains for automatically created templated websites. As background, I have used cPanel for many years but only as a user and administrator, I've never written any code that affects it in any way at either an administrative or user level.

The application will allow someone to create an account (not a server-level account, just a MySQL-based account) and answer several questions to create a single page website that has a subdomain.

Although I haven't done it before with PHP, I have a pretty good idea of how to do so if cPanel is not involved--back before cPanel existed I wrote simple shell scripts to automate account and DNS/mail set-up. However, the involvement of cPanel totally throws me.

So, I'm trying to decide if I'm even going to accept this job and that decision hinges on whether there is already a drop-in type of solution for this or if it is insanely easy; I know my limits and don't want to get in over my head!

I would appreciate any information regarding such a solution--hints (or instructions!) on how to create it, links to existing solutions, etc.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Eri

2. MattDees

MattDees cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Eri,
    This is most certainly doable through cPanel. You can use the XML-API to create subdomains/mysql databases/whatever else. Please see:

CallingAPIFunctions < AllDocumentation/AutomationIntegration < TWiki

For a reference of API calls, please see:

API Reference

We will be working on better materials for covering this information soon.

if you have any questions beyond what's included in those docs, don't hesitate to ask.

3. pacifich

pacifich Member

Awesome... I have never thought of such method! very helpful... Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

pacifich