The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomain does not work with no DNS in place

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by aleunpkc, Aug 7, 2005.

1. aleunpkc

aleunpkc Member

Hello,

I attempted to create a subdomain under cpanel. Upon creation, the cpanel did not prompt any error. However, the subdomain did not work (i.e. the subdomain is not accessible at all).

As my server does not use its own DNS and it used a server provider's DNS server. Shall I need to update the server provider's DNS in order to get the subdomain work?
    Thank you for your advice.

If I do not need to update the server provider's DNS, what files on my server that can be checked for errors?

2. aby

aby Well-Known Member

You should update the DNS to add the subdomain entry for it to work .. I think

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed, yes you do need to add it into wherever the authoratitive zone is kept for the domain otherwise no-one will know about it. IF you want to avoid that, you'd have to create a wildcard DNS entry on your nameservers that hold the zone.

4. aleunpkc

aleunpkc Member

wildcard DNS

Thanks for reply. I am using theplanet. Anyone know how to create a wildcard DNS using the DNS request form?

Is it something like *.mydomain.com with a specified ip?

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, *.mydomain.com is the wildcard that you need to point to the same IP address as mydomain.com.