The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomain/Mail headache

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sinfield, Mar 19, 2007.

1. sinfield

sinfield Member

I have a single domain that, a few days ago when I created a subdomain, dropped all e-mail accounts except the root account.

The sub I created was dev.domain.com. That works fine. But once I realized I could not access any of the e-mail accounts I checked the mail account list in cPanel to find that they are just gone. They still show up in ssh under the parked domain under which they were created. When I tried to add the accounts back in (and hopefully reconnect them to their existing databases), I discovered that the parked domain under which they were created is no longer there. To help illustrate, a sequence of events:

1. Created primary account (domain.com)
    2. Created parked domain (domaign.com)
    3. Created mail accounts as account@domaign.com
    4. Created subdomain "dev."
    5. Mail stopped working
    6. Deleted subdomain "dev."

Ok, so now that I have deleted the subdomain I tried to recreate the mail accounts again. But I discovered that in the drop-down domain list in mail account creation my desired domain still has "dev." in front of it. So I deleted the "dev." entry in the relevant file in /var/named and then restarted BIND. Still it shows up with "dev." in the drop-down.

I have run:
    /scripts/courierup --force
    /scripts/eximup --force
    /scripts/upcp --force

In any case, I am nearing the point of frustration. Does anyone have a brilliant solution?

2. sinfield

sinfield Member

Forgot to note that I am running Fedora Core 4 and the Release build.

3. jaizkris

jaizkris Member

Hello,

Just try to send mail to the account using shell with

mail -v user@domain.com

check whether it completes succesfully.

If it persists report the issue to you support. because root access is essential to check the log file.

4. sinfield

sinfield Member

Mail is working fine on the account. I can recreate the accounts without difficulty, other than the fact that they are created as account@domain.com instead of what I need, account@domaign.com. "domaign.com" is simply no longer in the list of available domains in the mail account creation drop-down. In its place is "dev.domaign.com". As the domain matters for logging in, it needs to be the same as I originally set up, or I have a long drive ahead of me to fix a lot of Outlook accounts.

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is the 'dev' subdomain only attached to 'domain.com' or to both it and 'domaign.com' ?

6. sinfield

sinfield Member

It is only attached to domaign.com. It was listed under both dev.domain.com and dev.domaign.com until I deleted the subdomain. It was then listed only under dev.domaign.com.

7. sinfield

sinfield Member

The dev. subdomain left artifacts of itself in the /var/cpanel/users/'account' file in question. Once dev. was completely removed and /scripts/updateuserdomains was run, I was able to delete the parked domaign.com, repark it, and all those previously-created mail accounts reappeared. I just had to reset the passwords and all is well in the world.

Many thanks to the folks here for your assistance, and to the folks at cPanel tech support.