The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomain of a subdomain DNS only?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by StingRay2k01, Sep 23, 2012.

1. StingRay2k01

StingRay2k01 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have to move a website that is currently on a VPS that has been setup a little different than what I am used to on Cpanel. For example: (where ca is the state and hollywood,etc, are cities in that state).

• ca.hollywood.example.com
      ca.orange.example.com
      ca.example.com

The file structure from document root is:

• /CA/Hollywood
      /CA/Orange

There are probably close to one hundred of these. So, yeah, not nice to recreate.
    I added a A entry in the Advanced DNS zone before I really thought it out and now I'm pretty sure that was the wrong approach and instead should have just gone with subdomain creation.

Is all my DNS entry work wasted?

#1 StingRay2k01, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. pwhjenny

pwhjenny Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you created full backup of your account on old server, you need to create all records again. Everything will copied as it except your IP. I believe you transferred your account manually hence dns entries does not exists.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I agree that you'll need to remove the DNS entries you've added and instead recreate these as subdomains. Do you have full root access to the machine? If so, you could use the API or a script to auto create all the subdomain entries on the backend.