Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomain off primary for each account?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by DWardCA, Aug 12, 2017.

1. DWardCA

DWardCA Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Suppose our host/domain is cpanel.techlard.com (completely fictitious)

We sell webhosting to 3 clients and set up the following accounts and domains:
    account: soiljoe domain: soiljoe.biz
    account: mathslang domain: mathslang.org
    account: fuzzlodge domain: fuzzlodge.com

What I want to know is how you would set up subdomains off of techlard.com for each account:

soiljoe.techlard.com
    mathslang.techlard.com
    fuzzlodge.techlard.com

So example: soiljoe.techlard.com will give you the same site as www.soiljoe.biz website, whether soiljoe.biz domain is registered or not. Emailing joe@soiljoe.techlard.com will go to joe@techlard.com mailbox.

1. Does cPanel have an automatic way of doing this for each new account created?
    2. Is there a way of doing it manually within cPanel on a per account basis?

I see an option in the WHM under Server Configuration -> Tweak Settings -> Domains called "Allow WHM users to create subdomains across accounts" - thats kind of what we are doing but I don't want the users to be able to create those, just the root or ideally automatically set up when the new account is set up.

I'm old school *nix but I'm new to root administration with cPanel. If you take cPanel out of the equation, you'd enter in an A entry into DNS configuration for the subhost, and you'd set up a VirtualHost using a ServerAlias for the subdomain. Great - but how to do this within cPanel's confines?

Thank you in advance.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator