The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomain on different cpanel account - but same server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corneloues, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Corneloues

Corneloues Registered

I am trying to employ some basic development practices by separating my development, test and live environments.

I am using Drupal in a multisite configuration so aside from my primary domain I have a number of addon domains associated with this account.

One option is to have a separate cPanel account for each domain, but as many sites share the same modules etc, this would just be duplicating code across multiple accounts and will be a nightmare to manage security and module updates.

So the option I have chosen (or would like to choose) is to have 3 cPanel accounts - one for each stage of development, then have www.* point to the live account, test.* point to the test account and so on.

This works OK for the primary domain, but when I try and add a subdomain as an addon in one of the other accounts, cPanel tells me:

dev.***.co.uk is controlled by another user. You cannot park it.​

Is there anyway I can support this methodology using multiple cPanel accounts?

Cheers,

Roy

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please try enabling the following option under the "Domains" tab in "WHM Home » Server Configuration » Tweak Settings":

"Allow domain parking across accounts"

This will allow users to park domains (including creation of addon domains) on top of domains owned by other users. This is not recommended on shared servers, but if you are the only person using the server it should not be an issue. Otherwise, only enable the option temporarily, and then disable it when you have created the addon domains.

Thank you.

3. Corneloues

Corneloues Registered

Michael,

Don't currently have access to "Tweak Settings" under "Server Configuration" on my reseller account but have now asked for it.

Many thanks,

Roy

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This option can not be granted to a reseller without granting the reseller root privileges. It's not recommended to disable "Allow domain parking across accounts" on a shared server, but you are welcome to request that your web hosting provider makes a temporary exception in your case.

Thank you.