The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomain propagate time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alifazman, Nov 3, 2010.

1. alifazman

alifazman Active Member

Hello Everyone.

I'm sorry if this is duplicate issues.

I'm just wonder, my client create a subdomain recently and it's not appear to work yet.Is it take time for the subdomain to propagate?

Thank You in advance

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If the subdomain did not previously have an A record in the DNS zone, or the A record for the subdomain had to be changed, then yes, it could take time to propagate.

Do a whois lookup on the domain and make sure that its authoritative nameservers are the nameservers that you host. If they are not, then you will need to either add an A record to the DNS zone in the nameservers that are authoritative, or change the authoritative nameservers in the whois information to the ones that you host.

3. alifazman

alifazman Active Member

Thanks Jared for your reply.

It just worked when I added the A record for the abc.domain.com point to the server.Is it possible for not to doing it manually?

I mean.When client create their own subdomain, then we no need to add the A record manually?If it possible, what is the step I need to take?Or any setting should I enable.

Thanks So Much.

4. cPanelJared

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The A record should be created automatically. Are the nameservers hosted on the same server that hosts the Web site? Is the server in any kind of cluster configuration?

5. alifazman

alifazman Active Member

Hi,

The Name Server is not in the same server of the website, also no cluster configuration =)

6. cPanelJared

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That is why the A record was not created. Since the authoritative nameservers are not hosted on the server that hosts the site, the nameservers had no way to be notified of the new subdomain.

If both servers, the one that hosts the nameserver and the one that hosts the site, are cPanel servers, you may be interested cPanel's DNS cluster capability. This will let the DNS zones on all servers in the cluster be synchronized automatically. The following section of our documentation explains the DNS cluster features:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration

7. alifazman

alifazman Active Member

Dear Jared.

You teach me something today.

Thank you.Unfortunately the nameserver is not a cPanel server.So I believe I can't work on this interesting features.Anyway Thanks =)