NeutralGold

Jun 5, 2002
I'm trying to get a subdomain to point to a different ip than the one used for the actual domain, it says to just add an a entry but its still pointing to the main ip? Tried searching for an answer and i couldnt find anything, anyone know?

JC

Nov 6, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Guess you'll have to do it at the DNS level

If you have access to the zone file for that domain (WHM or manually)

Add

subdomain IN A newIpadress

NeutralGold

Jun 5, 2002
I did, I added an A entry in whm with the new ip address.
It list subdomainname-14000-ip address, replaced the main ip with the new one, resolves to the old one still

NeutralGold

Jun 5, 2002
I also tried it a bunch of other ways like
subdomainip-domainname.com
subdomain.domain.com-newip
ip.subdomain.domain.com-oldip
lol i dont know i just cant get it to resolve to the one i want it to even when it says that i can just add an a entry, if this isnt the correct way then someone please list the correct way?

NeutralGold

Jun 5, 2002
Originally posted by thaphantom
ou just need to change the IP in the DNS Zone
Subdomain A 14000 IPADDR

Update that

Then it should work, if it doesnt it is your ISP caching the old IP
Yup, very first thing I tried, and yup it kept resolving to the old ip. Now the odd thing is that its pointing to the apachssl html file that says it worked blah blah... Think I know what to do but incase I dont you can go ahead and tell me lol

NeutralGold

Jun 5, 2002
lol ok I didnt know what to do. But atleast its resolvong to the new ip, I actually dont need the domain space, just the link, and thats why I wanted the new ip with it. But I might need it the way its intended in the future so maybe some more ideas.
Thanks again