The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomains as a main site?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hP-Steve, Mar 31, 2003.

1. hP-Steve

hP-Steve Member

My admin tells me that when a subdomain is created as a main site, that DNS go all screwy, and it can mess up the box. I dont see how this can be possible, as I was always so positive that cPanel is very subdomain capable. Anyone want to comment?

2. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

You need to hire a new admin.

Adding a 'subdomain' (really just a hostname) as a primary account simply creates a unique zone file. You just wouldn't then put a CNAME record into the non-subdomain zone file, or that would cause problems.

It's perfectly legal (according to DNS RFCs), possible and typical to do this, especially if that 'subdomain' needs to have other DNS entries under it.

Jaz

3. NNNils

NNNils Well-Known Member

I had this problem a few times, but not DNS is getting srewed, but it is Apache that in some situations, will not restart because httpd.conf gets corrupt.

This situation appears to happen when both somedomain.com and sub.somedomain.com are created as a full account on 1 server and when sub.somedomain.com is deleted, it seems to leave some rows in httpd.conf which have to be removed manually before Apache will restart.

Any explanation for this?? I don't use the option myself, but some resellers do.. :-S

4. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

Never had this problem at all. It worked fine on the 7.3 Red hat i used to admin.

5. NNNils

NNNils Well-Known Member

Hm. Strange. Using RH7.3 too...

6. NNNils

NNNils Well-Known Member

Still having these problems. Maybe I should tell that these accounts are created by a reseller, maybe he does not have sufficient rights to alter some files?

Other question:

What would happen when on my server is domain.com and a reseller thinks to be funny and create an account for subdomain.domain.com ?