The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomains as Accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drk2cmp, Aug 4, 2004.

1. drk2cmp

drk2cmp Registered

As a reseller, I want to allow my clients to sign-up without requiring a domain name. I was planning on achieving this by using subdomains, but whenever I try to add a test account, I get an error message that the domain name already exists. I've already established the subdomain within the main account.

I know I can setup a subdomain, and an FTP account restricted to just that folder, but I'd like to offer my clients the flexibility of the cPanel.

Is this possible, or am I just dreaming?

~Drk2cmp

2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Check with your host. What you really want to do, is to not use your cpanel to create a subdomain on your account. You want to create an entirely new account as subdomain.yourdomain.tld via your WHM.

This way, your client will have access to their own cpanel and their own webspace.

3. drk2cmp

drk2cmp Registered

Success

Bamasbest,

Thanks!! You are SO right. And because I had previously specified the subdomain, registration saw it as already taken. I deleted out the subdomain, and tried reregistering, and was met with success!

Just waiting for DNS to propagate to make sure that everything is kosher.

~Drk2cmp

4. drsprite

drsprite Active Member

This helped me out a lot to figure out how to deal with clients who don't own a TLD.

But I wanted to be able to give them email with @domain.com instead of @user.domain.com.

How can I do that?

Thanks!

5. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Set up a add on mailbox for them in @domains cpanel

6. drsprite

drsprite Active Member

okay.. but if they go into their cpanel, they try to add new mailboxes, it only gives them the user.domain.com for an option for the domain.

I guess my real question is, can domain.com AND user.domain.com show up in their cPanel account?

7. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

No, as the sub-domain is set up as its own account. To avoid them setting up email, you can create a new package and assign the sub-domain with no email accounts if this is what you want to do.