The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subdomains not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sparek-3, Jun 11, 2004.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We are having a problem on one of our servers. Subdomains do not appear to be resolving after they are created. I can create a subdomain through an account's control panel, then through the shell on the server I should be able to type:

host sub.domain.com

and see the domain's IP. However it fails to resolve. If I manually reload bind using:

/usr/sbin/ndc reload

then the sub domain resolves correctly. Shouldn't the CPanel script be reloading ndc after the subdomain is created? Is there a setting I am missing somewhere?

Thanks

2. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Subdomains my friend, can take anywhere from 2-4hrs to resolve and if your very lucky it may be instantaneous.

3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    They should resolve instantaneously assuming you did not try to resolve the subdomain on your computer or your network before creating the subdomain and creating the A record in the DNS zone file. If you did, your computer or your ISP's DNS server would cache the name and would not try to resolve it instead it would send back that it does not exist. However, if you are on the same server that the DNS zone exists on it, you can make as many changes to a DNS record as you want and the changes will take affect instantly since you are looking them up on the same server. This is what I am referring to. If I create a subdomain and then SSH into that server and try to resolve the subdomain, it should resolves. However in this case it is not. I have to perform a /usr/sbin/ndc reload in order for the DNS changes to take affect. I should not have to do this.

4. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

If you do not want to listen to advice then maybe you shouldnt be asking for any. You asked the question i told you the answer.