The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subdomains pointing to other IPs. [moved]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aven, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Aven

Aven Member

subdomains pointing to other IPs.

Hello!

Is there a way to make Cpanel have a domain.com point to a directory instead of having to change the whole dns?

If not, when the domain is pointed to the dns, is there a way to make subdomains point to other IPs? again, all with cpanel.

Thanks

2. elliotcooper

elliotcooper Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

It is not entirly clear what you want to happen here. If you create a cPanel account for the domain domain.com then the site that you upload will get pulled from the directory /home/user/public_html/ in the new users directory that you created.

If you want to add a subdomain like sub.domain.com under domain.com and want that resolve to a directory under /home/user/public_html/ then you just need to log into the cpanel account for domain.com and use the subdomain section.

You can also resolve a subdomain to a new IP address if you want to. To do this you just need to create a new A record for sub.domain.com in whatever are the authoratitive nameservers for domain.com. If you are managing those on your server then you can do this in the DNS section.

If you then want this subdomain to have it's own cpanel account then you need to delete it from the subdomain section in the cpanel acccount for domain.com and add it as a new cpanel account in WHM.

3. Kerstin

Kerstin Well-Known Member

It is my meaning,

you will a DNS routing to a local directory or you will create
    a local DNS entry to a appointing directory. :eek:

4. Aven

Aven Member

No one knows exactly what I'm saying :(

I have a web host, however I do not have root access.

So, I have a Domain.com and it uses GoDaddy.com's DNS and I want to keep it that way. Because since I don't have root access, I'm not able to create A records for subdomains. So, the only thing I can do is set an A record for domain.com (but leave the subdomains in godaddy) to point to the IP of the webhost, because, I want to keep my current DNS.

So, when I create an A record from domain.com (using Godaddy's DNS), how do I point it to a directory?

Main point is:

When using GoDaddy's DNS and having the domain pointed to the webhost's IP, how can I make cpanel know where to point the domain name? because I do not want to change DNS.

And since there are so many websites hosted on the same machine, cpanel won't recognize the domain and on where to point it, I would get "There is no website configured at this address."

Reason is I don't have root access so I won't be able to create A records for subdomains.

5. Aven

Aven Member

no one have a clue? :(

6. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

You need to modify your domain to use your hosting providers nameservers rather than godaddy's nameservers. You can then create subdomains in cPanel and they will be automaticly setup for you. You dont need to create A records or anything like that, they are all taken care of for you.

7. Aven

Aven Member

But see... I run an internet relay chat network and I need the irc.domain.com subdomain to point to different IP addresses. Is there a way to add a subdomain A record in cpanel?

8. wsenter

wsenter Well-Known Member

Ask your hosting company if they can "edit your DNS zone" for your domain. Then have them add an entry for that and point it to a different IP. That SHOULD do the trick.

9. murugan

murugan Member

Create "A" record as

irc.domain.com pointing to the ip

This will do good for you.

If you dont have permission to do so, request your hoster to do so.