The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomains to an addon domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trel, May 19, 2003.

1. Trel

Trel Well-Known Member

When I go to make a sub domain, it lists the addon domain but I cannot make an sub domain under it, am I missing something?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

I have noticed this as well, must be something to do with cPanel.

3. Trel

Trel Well-Known Member

well, are there any workarounds?

4. Trel

Trel Well-Known Member

anyone?

5. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, you're not.

The Add-on Domain is setup as a Sub-domain. Since (by default) you can only use one Sub-domain DNS setting, you will not be able to add any further Sub-domains -- to an Add-on Domain.

If that's as clear as mud, think of it this way:

This is allowed
    1sub.domain.com

This is not
    2sub.1sub.domain.com

An Add-on Domain uses
    1sub.domain.com -- even though it works with its own URL

Sub-domain for an Add-on Domain would have to be
    2sub.1sub.domain.com

6. Trel

Trel Well-Known Member

is it possible that there will be workarounds in future versions?

7. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First, this is not a WHM/Cpanel problem. It has to do with the way BIND is setup and works with Apache.

Second, there are workarounds available, but seriously degrade Server security. Only the experienced would want to change the current setup.

8. houchin

houchin Member

I don't buy this. I took a look at the http.conf file on my shared server, and it seems that its just a matter of correctly writing the new virtual host values, and putting the Server root directory in the correct place.

My host was able to manually add a subdomain of an addon domain to the DNS, and I'm working on a couple of workarounds (one with PHP to redirect requests to the main index, and one using mod_rewrite).

9. EcpHosting

EcpHosting Well-Known Member

The workaround

Before explaining the workaround, we must realize the bug. The bug with the subdomain on the addon is really quite simple (perhaps the folks at Cpanel hasn't figured it out yet) and consists of TWO bugs...

It all lies within the Apache Conf file. Of course, there are two entries in the conf file (one for the addon and one for the subdomain).

The First Bug: Server Alias
    The first bug lies within the Server Alias file. Normally a Server Alias for a domain is "domain.com www.domain.com) so that any time someone types in the domain [with or without the WWW] it will route to that account. instead the addon server alias is:

domain.com *.domain.com

Being that the addon domain is higher than any subdomain placed under it on the conf file, it take precedence. That little asterisk (*) is what kills the possibility of any addon domain from working. If you were to change that asterisk from a * to a 'www' (like it normally should be), this will open up the gateway for room for the addon to work.

The Second Bug: Document Root
    The is on the subdomain conf entry itself. There really isn't a bug, if this wasn't an subdomain for an addon. The document root is showing the root as being in a folder that doesn't exist (thinking the subdomain folder is under the public_html folder). This, of course, isn't the case, as the subdomain folder lies within the addon domain folder.

A simple fix of both entries above and an addon works just fine! I just hope CPanel would come around to fixing this.

#9 EcpHosting, Jul 10, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2003
  10. Cloak

Cloak Active Member

It would be nice if they did fix it. Before I moved into using cpanel, I've offered that exact service to customers for years, I just manually entered it in my vhost list file. I also go back and delete all of those *.domain entries and rename them to www

It is quite easy to fix if you know anything about setting up those configuration files manually, but that defeats the purpose of having cpanel.

11. houchin

houchin Member

I think the bug is bigger than this. I just tried to enter a subdomain for an addon, and here's what happened:

1. Go to the subdomain page, enter the subdomain name and select the addon domain from the popup. Click add
    2. CPanel returns the results page, indicating that the desired subdomain was added to my primary domain
    3. Use host from the command line to verify that "sub.primary.com" now resolves to the shared server, not "sub.addon.com"
    4. Look in the httpd.conf file to verify that the new virtual host is with the primary domain, not the addon.
      [/list=1]

This is the same thing that happens if you try to add a subdomain to a subdomain, even though the popup menu provides that option. It's just added to the main domain. The only saving grace there is that you can enter "sub1.sub2" in the subdomain name field to get it to work

12. EcpHosting

EcpHosting Well-Known Member

We don't dissallow it, we just let clients know there is a bug, but we do have a workaround if they just submit us their information (we just edit it with our workaround above)

13. casey

casey Well-Known Member

I tried this, but it doesn't seem to work for me. When I create the subdomain on the addon domain, the subdomain is added to the main domain. If I leave it as is, the subdomain works perfectly. However, even if I edit the entry in httpd.conf and change domain.com to addon.com, I cannot access the subdomain (yes, I changed the * to www).

14. houchin

houchin Member

My host ended up getting this working for me. It turns out that there's a bug in some versions of XSkin in addition to the bug in CPanel.

If you try and create a subdomain on addon.com, but it gets created on main.com, then that's the XSkin bug and you need to upgrade to x2.

After that, my host was able to go in an manually fix the httpd.conf file. Also, that subdomain needs to manually be put into the DNS, as CPanel doesn't do this either.

15. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had translated Xskin, so that was my problem. I now have the subdomain functioning. Thanks.:)

#15 casey, Aug 6, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2003
  16. mdwebhost

mdwebhost Registered

Is there ever going to be a fix for this problem? It sounds like this problem has been around for a long time, and based on what I've read it should be an easy fix for cpanel to make. I looked at the changelog for cpanel and noticed the following:

Tue Oct 8 23:32:02 EDT 2002
    5.x Build#206
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

allow subdomain creation on other subdomains and parked domains and addon domains

So the ability to create them in cpanel has been around for almost a year now, and they have probably never worked properly. For those of us who don't have root access to the server we're on and don't want to hound our providers there is still no solution. Considering the amount of posts about this problem, it obviously affects a good amount of people and needs to be fixed.

17. ax_

ax_ Registered

i can't agree more. if main domains aren't added with that wildcard, why should addon domains?

i would much appreciate if this could be fixed soon. almost no effort (change * to www) for fixing an annoying issue.

18. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem with several users wanting to add subdomains to addons and not being able to.

I hope a fix for this will come soon, this bug has been around forever.

19. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

This is exactly why we don't offer add on domains to customers.

Customer expect them to behave like seperate accounts and they don't.

We provide multiple domain account sbut we use a cut down version of webhost manager to achieve this and have a script that sets them up using the API.

WHM is the correct environment for providing this sort of service and it means that each account is truly seperate.
    This makes it easier for customers to understand how each domain works and easier for us to solve problems.

As WHM is included with Cpanel at no extra charge you would be better using it for this typ eof thing.

Gordon

20. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Registered

Speaking as a customer of a webhosting service, this bug is prety darn annoying. It took about 2 hours of my time and the guy who runs my webhosting company to figure out that it was not us, but indeed a major flaw in the software.

So, has there been any progress on this bug? Do you guys even care any more?

If this is the kind of support cPanel offers, perhaps I should be looking for a host that uses a diffrent managment software.

#20 Yo-DUH_87, Dec 31, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2003