The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subdomains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by linuxman, Dec 1, 2003.

1. linuxman

linuxman Well-Known Member

I need some real help with an explanation. I have an issue with subdomains on two servers. On one server it correctly sets up the domain name and is active right then. On the other server (which both have the same version of Cpanel) I set them up but only get a 'Page not Found' when going to it. I am not setting up the subdomains in any location other then Cpanel. There is not record in the names server (does there have to be)?

I am total perplexed by this situation and looking for someone to explain to me any known issues or how this should work and if set up correctly where do I find evidence of it (excluding the notion that the page works). Thanks in advance.

2. critter

critter Well-Known Member

Just a quick duh .... have you checked that there are no "case" errors?

3. linuxman

linuxman Well-Known Member

JeRrY ARe YOU RefFeRIng to case errors like that? If so, yes, we have checked that and not issues. I guess I am lost as to how they work. Do you have to set up the subdomains in a Name Server Record if they are on the site at which the FQDN is installed? That is my real question, I guess. Or does it matter if I am using my own name servers or something like ns1.everydns.net a DNS tool off-site. These are the real questions I have. But I am going to meet with one the worlds most profound Apache guys tomorrow for breakfast who I clearly understands this, so I will picking him to pieces for answers.

4. critter

critter Well-Known Member

LOL ... well I shouldn't presume to persue this if you're going to see a master :). But ... my understanding is that if the host domain is resolving properly, any subdomains should resolve imediately, then again, if you're not hosting DNS on the same server as the host domain, I can imagine that causing delays as it would take time for the addition to propogate to the remote dns server.

Just as an aside, I have a problem, as yet unsolved with a machine on a LAN where I have my day job, (LAN maybe a red herring, the host server is in another state), where I have 16 win XP pro machines, all pretty much with identical set ups all fixed IP, domain based, DNS running on a local server, all but 1 machine will see a subdomain that I set up, this 1 machine says "page not found", but it CAN navigate to the folder where the subdomain is installed, it resolves fine for every other machine on the LAN and works fine outside the LAN too. Go figure, (the joys of WinDOZE).