The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suddenly Cannot Open Raw Log File (.TAR)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgranat, Sep 13, 2004.

1. bgranat

bgranat Member

WinZip says it cannot open the .tar file all of a sudden (just installed SR-2 in Windows XP). Says there's an error processing the header. WinZip's been updated and I have no clue about what could be wrong.

Any ideas?

Did something change about the raw log file format recently (within the last 24 hours)?

I can't open it with WinRAR either. When I do, it creates a MSDOS file that I can't use. I open it, but then it shuts before I can see it.

I'd appreciate any help anyone may have.

I noticed that the Last Visitors page has been changed and it is no longer useful to me. I like to see who has visited me, but the Last Visitors page now does not present the information chronologically. So I've been using the raw logs, and now I can't use them.

Thank you in advance if anyone has any help to offer. My ISP recommended that post my question here, but I recall doing so a couple of years ago about another matter and I don't think I ever got an answer.

Have pity! I'm not an ISP. I'm a lowly user.

Thanks,

Bonnie Granat
    http://www.GranatEdit.com

2. *kb*

*kb* Member

Bonnie, I had your problem recently. In the end I just tried a lot of different unzipping utilities, and 7-zip was the one that worked for me...

3. bgranat

bgranat Member

Thanks KB. After finally buying WinZip, I am not happy to hear that.

I am also unhappy that cPanel screwed around with Last Visitors, which is now incorrectly named. It does not give you the "last visitors" in any usable form. Grrrr.

Do cPanel people read this forum, or is this just a place for users to gripe and go away just as unhappy as when they first posted? (No offense meant, of course.)

B.

4. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

I think they do a lot more reading than they do posting.

5. bgranat

bgranat Member

Newsflash -- Independent person says file is BAD

I e-mailed a .tar file that I downloaded from cPanel and sent it to a friend. He cannot open it with "anything," he said.

Bottom line: the file is bad.

cPanel, can you hear me?? Is there a problem you are having with tar files?

Thanks!

6. bgranat

bgranat Member

Really? My ISP told me to post a question here. If I can't get an answer here, what shall I do?

7. SarcNBit

You may want to try submitting a support ticket or browse through the bug reports and/or these forums to see if the problem has been mentioned before (I seem to think it has but I did not run a search on it).

8. haze

haze Well-Known Member

If you are having a problem and are SURE its cpanel related, contact your distributor and ask for assistance. If they can not provide you with assistance, submit either 1. a bug report or 2. a support request to cpanel directly. More information: http://support.cpanel.net

This forum IS mainly for the cpanel community, and chances are your only getting through to other cpanel users and not the staff. I'd hate to see nick spending his whole day sorting through the posts when he has provided the means for you to contact them directly already.

The support means provided in the URL above sure are handy, venting and whinging like a baby thats lost his bottle ain't gonna get you anywhere.

9. bgranat

bgranat Member

-----------

I am a customer of an ISP that uses cPanel.

My ISP told me to post a question here.

He did not say specifically to ask for official support for the product.

I am not sure of it being a cPanel problem.

I am simply asking for help.

Thank you for telling me about the way to contact the staff.

I asked several questions; I did not whine, and it is amazing to me that you saw fit to characterize my posts as being "whining like a baby."

10. bgranat

bgranat Member

Support Requests
    If you obtained your licensing directly through us, you are welcome to submit a support ticket at the support request form below. If you get your hosting/licensing through another company, you will need to contact them for technical support. When submitting a request, please include essential information such as IP of the server, root password (if access will be required), operating system you are using, and any specific error messages you are seeing.

According to the above, I cannot get support, because I get my hosting/licensing through another company. Back to my ISP.

11. SarcNBit

If you are not the server host, then that is the way you need to go.

I sometimes forget these forums are open to cPanel end-users, and I forget to ask.

12. bgranat

bgranat Member

Thanks, Sarc. I actually missed your post about this and saw only haze's post about it. I'm talking with my ISP now. He's quite a good one, too. ; )

I appreciate your help a lot!

Take care,

Bonnie

13. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

End users can ask for help here, but if it's an issue that can't be handled by the user, they are required to go to their hosting provider. If the hosting provider can't help, they need a new hosting provider.

Problem is, with the cost of servers now, half of the "hosting companies" out there are 1 person who knows little about server management and just decided to try out this new "easy business".

As a general rule, if a hosting provider appears to not know what they are doing, they probably don't.

14. PWSowner

That's good to hear. There are too many hosting newbies out there.

15. bgranat

bgranat Member

Thanks, squirrel. Have you downloaded a raw log file today and been able to open it? In other words, maybe there *is* a problem with the tar file. I sent it to a friend who said he couldn't open it either. WinZip has a setting for tar files, so it's not like I'm asking it to do something different. I hesitating asking about it because I had just installed SR-2 for XP, but I've determined that is not the cause, because others have had the same problem with the tar file I sent to them.

I've done it at least 25 times and WinZip says it cannot read the header. Really weird. And why'd they change the last visitors page. Do you know? Was it in response to customer requests, I wonder?

Well, maybe it's a waste of time to view the logs, but as a jobhunter, I've found it useful to see what companies are visiting and how often my resume is downloaded.

My ISP is kind of a friend, actually, that I have known for about 10 years online through a mailing list he runs. He provides excellent service and personal attention, too, plus a verrrry good deal.

Anyway, now that my ISP knows I cannot put in a support request, I guess the ball's in his court.

Bonnie

16. PWSowner

I just tested it and they downloaded and opened just fine for me with winzip and with winrar.

Best thing for your host to try is to update cpanel. Run /scripts/updatenow first, then /scripts/upcp.

17. bgranat

bgranat Member

Thanks, squirrel. I've passed that along to my ISP. ; )

18. bgranat

bgranat Member

squirrel,

What version of cPanel are you running?

Thanks,

Bonnie

19. PWSowner

WHM 9.9.0
    Cpanel 9.9.0-E43

I use edge and manually update about once a week. Some don't like edge because of possible bugs, but it also gets fixed the fastest. I update manually, then if there are bugs, update again in a few hours. In about a year, I've only had to update for repairs once.

20. bgranat

bgranat Member

Thank you, squirrel.