Suddenly I get this error Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/sub.mydomain.com

Morley

Apr 24, 2007
I'm using WHM 11.23.2 cPanel 11.23.6-S27698
CENTOS Enterprise 4.7 i686 on standard - WHM X v3.1.0 - STABLE

When looking at the Cpanel interface email functions for one particular domain, mydomain.com only, I get this error message:
Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/main.hostname.com. Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!

This message doesn't appear under any of the other domain's Cpanel email functions.

I had changed the hostname months ago from main.mydomain.com to the above main.hostname.com and the recent UPCP update made dns changes so I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it.

I searched though the forums but couldn't find anything that fit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Morley

Apr 24, 2007
Let me ask this question another way.

Is your hostname suppose to be in in /etc/valiases ?

If so, then I have no idea why mine disappeared from there and should I recreate i.e. touch my.hostname.com? Of what should this consist? A fail statement?

If not, what is this error?

Thanks

Last edited:

brianoz

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'd just recreate it and see if that fixes the problem you're having (and post here and let us all know for future reference!).

It should consist of a single line, check other domains on your server for the correct entry, something like:

Code:
*: :fail: No Such User Here

Morley

Apr 24, 2007
I'd just recreate it and see if that fixes the problem you're having (and post here and let us all know for future reference!).

It should consist of a single line, check other domains on your server for the correct entry, something like:

Code:
*: :fail: No Such User Here
I did this, but then root stopped getting my logging emails so I added root as an email to it. This seemed to solve the problem but then (I don't know when), the alias /etc/valiases/my.hostname.com disappeared and the error is back. Some update removed it.

Frustrating. No one has ever seen this before?