Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

suexec and phpsuexec : why (not)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aphexer, Aug 5, 2004.

1. aphexer

aphexer Member

suexec and phpsuexec : when use what?

My current situation is that the /cpanel and /whm links don't work because suexec is enabled. (phpsuexec is disabled). First of all how can this be fixed?

The reason to use suexec is quite clear to me I think (correct me if I'm wrong): without suexec a script from host1.com can read files from host2.com. Just because the 2 apache processes run as the same user. The suexec fixes this by letting each virtual server run with a seperate uid.

But then phpsuexec, what's it purpose? I only know that when it's enabled php scripts are parsed like cgi's, and the cgiversion doesn't read .htaccess so I'd need to put my things in a php.ini which can be alot of work if you have alot of them. To parse these .php files as a cgi (as required by phpsuexec) is it needed to have #!/usr/bin/php in each php file? So far as far as I know phpsuexec only has contra's, nothing positive about it, how would it improve security?

In my opinion it's a must to use suexec. However /cpanel and /whm don't work then. There should really be a fix for this (like telling apache to use a specific uid for files in /usr/local/cpanel/base instead of a different uid depending on the domain it's called from but I really don't know how to do this, and yes I searched).

1) So anyone can tell me why I would enable phpsuexec and why I would want to deal with my .htaccess files putting into php.ini's or should I leave phpsuexec disabled then? Just don't know why it's needed.

2) How do I fix the /cpanel /whm etc... links when using suexec without phpsuexec? (and why does phpsuexec fixes this problem when used together with suexec?).

#1 aphexer, Aug 5, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2004