The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SUGGESTION: Apache build option

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by RavenSoul_, Nov 6, 2004.

1. RavenSoul_

RavenSoul_ Well-Known Member

Within the Apache build option, there is:

The options checked below reflect the default options, and not the currently active ones.

It would be much better to give a list with the current options aswell?

Is this possible?

Regards,

RavenSoul

2. Valetia

Valetia Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Click the "Load Previous Config" button on the same page, it will load your current settings.

3. RavenSoul_

RavenSoul_ Well-Known Member

It says: Previous

Not current?

It's misleading :)

But i get the picture now, tnx :)

4. cdrobsonjr

cdrobsonjr Registered

Further clarification needed on Load Previous Configuration

Total Newbie here >

I am being warned that Apache and SSL are in need of updating for security reasons.

I found the link that points to the interface to /scripts/buildapache. Once that page is loaded, I further found the button
    to Load Previous Configuration.. I clikced it. By observing all the check boxes I see there are not corresponding options
    there that cover all the options that I believe Apache now has.

I don't see a checkbox, for instance, for bwliminted_module, or auth_passthrough_module, or bytes_log_module.

How confident can I be that the Load Previous Configuration button will pick up all the features that Apache already is
    running with and not lose any?

I also note by observing the output of phpinfo.php that OpenSSL/0.9.7a and PHP-CGI/0.1b are currently part of my
    setup and I can't afford to lose either of those.

Please help a newbie understand and have confidence in the method provided to update Apache.

Thanks much. :confused:

5. Valetia

Valetia Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I can confirm that the latest version of buildapache already includes all of the modules you need:

Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634a mod_ssl/2.8.21 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP-CGI/0.1b

Hope this helps.

6. cdrobsonjr

cdrobsonjr Registered

Thanks for the reply, but I wonder if I successfully communicated fully the dilemma of my misgivings.

That such features are "available" in the latest version of Apache was never in doubt.

The real question, if I may state it a little more succinctly, is if I first hit the button to "Load my Previous Configuration",
    will it include those same features in the new Apache after the update is installed?
    Normally, those features must be indicated by --enable-some-feature tags on the command line or in a ./configure
    command subsequent to the Apache compile. The question I have is once I push the final button to "Start Build,"
    will I still have exactly the same number of particular options configured as I had before executing the build?
    Or, will I have to go back and do some further configuration to fully restore my web server to its former state?
    Perhaps another way of asking my question would be to ask if the buildapache script provided by cPanel is 'smart
    enough' to fully preserve all of my configurations for both the compilation of Apache and all my httpd.conf settings as
    they were before the build?

I apologise if I am still not being clear. But I didn't feel like my question was fully allayed by your response.

Hoping for further guidance.

Thank you again.

7. Ulysses

Ulysses Well-Known Member

I need to add some features like GD and therefore need to rebuild Apache.

I too find the "Update Apache" option ambiguous.

For some reason, I don't have an "Load Previous Config" option on the "Update Apache" page.

WHM 9.9.7 cPanel 9.9.8-R5
    RedHat 9 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

Therefore, I am reluctant to hit the "Start Rebuild" button, not knowing what is currently there which may be overwritten or disabled etc.

Ulysses
    PS. I do know what PHP features are there from running phpinfo.php

8. DomineauX

DomineauX Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I too witness the loss of the "load previous config" button on many systems.
    Seems after a rebuild it comes back, but it is much more handy to have before a rebuild than after. Can something be done to ensure that this option is ALWAYS present?

9. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I do not know anything about missing links, but rebuilding apache is often best done from the command line anyway, and the option to laod the previous config has never disappeared from there since it made its debut a while back.

As for the modules that are not listed as selectable, it means that htey will always be installed.

10. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

If youre looking to upgrade php and/or mod_ssl/apache do not use the load previous config, create a new one, it takes 2 extra minutes attached to your build time, even quicker in whm.

Regards,
    Brent