The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by biggdogg285, May 29, 2007.

1. biggdogg285

biggdogg285 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a 2.5 GB file that I would like to distribute, and I am looking for the best way to do it.

All of our servers already have 100mbps uplinks.

I am interested in exploring opportunities in FTP, or over HTTP.

Software or suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how I could implement this.

Thanks!

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

The best way is to split the file into smaller parts. Many utilities will prepare this for you and then seam the parts back on the client side once they are all collected and validated.

winrar comes to mind but most any packaging utility will perform this.

3. mguindon10

mguindon10 Active Member

Not to sound "piratey" but you could start a bit torrent tracker on your server and upload that file through bit torrent....since that's what bit torrent is actually supposed to be used for......

4. rikgarner

rikgarner Well-Known Member

Torrents will certainly help cut your bandwidth bills, as downloaders share and share alike, however many people shy away from legitimate torrents for the reason mguindon10 suggests, it seems "piratey".

Many server applications have problems servig files over 2GB - this is one of the reasons for example that only certain Centos Mirrors provide the full DVD Distro's.

I suggest splitting it into chunks - RAR or 7Z it, and if it was me, I would keep the chunks under 600MB incase any of my downloaders wants to burn off the bits onto CD to move it to another machine.